- All Community
What personal health fitness devices do you use, and why?
I'm working on a project that draws on devices and software that spit out tons of data about the body. I'm looking for new ones to test myself, and looking for others that have existing data or testimonials about the devices they use.
Anything that measures your physical activity, internal metrics (heart rate, blood sugar) or really, anything at all that goes on with or within your body is of interest to me.
I'm a bit of a nred in this department and am probably addicted to running apps...just fair warning :)
- Nike+ (Top notch design...might go a bit overboard even)
- MapMyRun (gets the job done, no frills)
- FitBit (I don't have this but have always wanted to check it out)
- DigiFit (great for heart rate tracking during your workout)
- Heart rate by Azumio (Uses the camera flash to monitor blod flow through your finger tip!)
- Stress check also by Azumio
- Livstrong My Plate (calorie tracker)
- Dailymile is also a great site to help you track your training and sharing it with friends. You can import data from Garmin or Nike+ devices.
These are pretty basic but:
My husband is recently obssessed with Strava for cycling. He is an analytical guy but I'm still surprised by the amount of time he spends looking at his data when he gets home, comparing it to others and his past performance, etc. He has a GPS device on his bike that he downloads to his computer and provides endless data. It breaks down his performance by segment and compares to others' performance for each segment.
I use the Nike app on my iphone for runs but I think it needs to be calibrated. I went through several chips and wristbands before I went to the phone version and I don't think it calibrates my speed correctly. I used to feed it into facebook but I don't now since I think it's innacurate.