What We Do:
Uptake is a Chicago-based predictive analytics SaaS platform provider that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths—machine learning, analytics, data visualization and software development—with the expertise of our industrial partners. The result is enormous savings in development time and resources for Uptake’s partners and a proven industrial grade software platform that delivers value to partners and their end customers.
What You'll Do:
As an operations database administrator, you’ll own our production Postgres databases. You will be responsible for configuration, uptime, capacity planning, account creation and maintenance, backups/restores, high availability planning and testing. You will work with the DevOps team for creation of new automation and builds and you’ll work with the data operations team for data quality and availability. You will also work with the Site Operations team to establish and enhance monitoring of all Postgres production systems. You’ll be focusing on reliability, performance, capacity, and the tuning of Postres at Uptake.
- Own the configuration and maintenance of all Postgres datastores in production, staging and QA environments.
- Proactively monitor events, investigate issues, analyze solutions, and drive problems through to resolution using a wide variety of Ops tools and monitoring platforms to gain knowledge, understanding, and enable persistent monitoring of database availability, performance, and capacity
- Establish and maintain accounts and access controls to all production Postgres databases.
- Perform data grooming and put retention policies into action.
- Maintain our database monitoring systems and develop new metrics/monitoring dashboards as additional coverage events become necessary.
- Be on call for potential downtime problem solving and root cause diagnosis.
- Provide developer support for data model and query pattern best practices.
- Excellent understanding of Postgres in a production environment
- Knowledge of and experience with database tuning, access controls (Authentication, Authorization, Audit Logging), monitoring.
- Knowledge of AWS technologies - EC2, S3
- Experience with a distributed log tool such as Graylog or Splunk
- Experience with automation tools: Puppet, Chef, Docker, Jenkins and/or Ansible
- Knowledge of Postgres replication for multi-DC, high availability and global synchronization.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working with Agile methodologies (preferred)
- Excited by Big Data technologies and interested in integrating statistics and analytics to make our systems perform even better.
- Cover letter