What we do:
Uptake harnesses the power of underutilized data to empower businesses to make informed decisions. We partner with industry leaders to build a predictive analytics software platform that grows smarter in one industry because of what we learn in another. The result is a powerful platform that identifies problems before they happen, ultimately saving money, time and lives.
What you’ll do:
As a Principal Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the architecture of a complex analytics platform that is already changing the way large industrial companies manage their assets. A Principal Engineer understands cutting-edge tools and frameworks, and is able to determine what the best tools are for any given task. You will enable and work with our other developers to use cutting-edge technologies in the fields of distributed systems, data ingestion and mapping, and machine learning, to name a few. We also strongly encourage Principal Engineers to tinker with existing tools, and to stay up to date and test new technologies—all with the aim of ensuring that our existing systems don’t stagnate or deteriorate.
As a Principal Engineer, your responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create cutting edge visualizations for analytics, interactive visualization tools and dashboards
- Collaborate with other members of our Product Development Team to create and implement product designs
- Commit to well designed, testable, clean code. Create unit and functional tests
- Stay current with new technologies, architectural design patterns and trends.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 9+ years of experience programming in a modern object oriented programming language & design patterns such as MVC, MVVM
- Understanding of a server side technology like Node.JS, .Net or Java
- In-depth knowledge of browser technologies & responsive web development
- Understanding of SASS, and build process management tools like Grunt or Gulp is a plus.
- Curiosity and an eagerness to learn in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience with version control in a production environment
We value these qualities, but they’re not required for this role:
- Experience with React, Redux, Immutable.js, Rx.js, Node.js or equivalent
- Experience working with Karma, Jasmine, Mocha or Protractor frameworks
- Experience with developer toolchains, such as node, npm, Grunt, Gulp or Webpack
- Experience with Git
- Masters or Ph.D. in related field
- Experience as an open source contributor
If you think you would be a good fit for this role, and are interested in joining the best engineering team in Chicago, please provide your resume with a cover letter.