Established in 1998, Cars.com is one of Chicago’s original tech companies. Our online platform makes it easier for consumers to shop for, sell and service their cars.
With our expert content, mobile app features, millions of new and used vehicle listings, a comprehensive set of research tools and the largest database of consumer reviews in the industry, Cars.com offers innovative products to connect consumers with dealers across the country.
Change is in our DNA, and 2016 was no exception! Last year we announced our move to a new Chicago HQ and the acquisition of DealerRater, the largest online ratings platform for car dealerships. And in 2017, we’ll become a free-standing, publicly traded company!
A true constant through the years has been the incredible culture we've created. Our employees have cultivated an environment leveraging technology, fostering innovation and embracing collaboration. We take pride in how Cars.com empowers our people to win and gain valuable experiences along the way!
The Product Manager will work with Product Leadership to set the vision and strategy while internalizing and articulating the needs of users and advertisers. You must be flexible as a results-oriented leader discovering, developing and facilitating cross-product strategy and implementation, working across Product, Technology, Marketing, Sales, Business Development and Finance. This individual must be both an entrepreneur and a CEO at heart – passionate about their product and willing to wear many hats to ensure its success.
- Define overall strategy and prioritized roadmap.
- Gain business support for the roadmap/plan.
- Define and set success criteria for product KPI’s.
- Participate in rich discovery processes, including market opportunities, user/customer research and prototyping to identify, evaluate and define products and features that are valuable, usable and feasible.
- Manage consumer facing as well as revenue generating products – mainly focused on our local markets at franchise dealers.
- Bring thought leadership and innovative thinking abilities in the product management space.
- Be fully accountable for defining the roadmap and executing against it.
- Assist product teams in the integration and prioritization of product vision, business case and roadmap work products.
- Lead cross-functional teams and efforts focused on establishing Cars.com in the space and creating an entirely new product lines
- Collaborating with Marketing, Sales, Operations and Senior leadership on roadmap alignment, execution and new ideas
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for developing new products
- Strong product management domain knowledge, including a grasp of core Web technologies and ability for informed participation in technology, user and business-oriented discussions
- Passion for delivering value to both site users and advertisers
- Financial/business acumen and analytical competence
- Must have the appetite to take risks for self and the team. Show managerial courage in effectively collaborating through the organization
- Able to be a leader to all parties involved in the product life cycle – product, UX, technology, marketing, finance, sales
- Able to manage priorities against needs of product teams, internal customers and internal partners
- Analytical and critical thinking skills to quickly make and measure decisions and define goals across products during planning and execution
- Confidence to leverage intuition to translate the unknown opportunity into an actionable plan
- Excellent communication skills and experience working effectively with senior leaders, peers, and direct reports
- Experience with Agile methodologies, comfort with short/real-time planning, and ability to maintain a consistent focus on short-term tactics and long-term goals
- Must demonstrate pragmatism and sound judgment
- Must be an approachable, respected, well-rounded leader
- A minimum of 8 years of broad business experience
- 4 years of experience in a product organization, with at least 2 years as a product manager
- 2 years of product management experience at a digital media/ecommerce/web-centric company
- Experience with Agile methodologies, is preferred
- Experience in eCommerce is preferred
- Experience with a digital media business is preferred
- Experience in automotive is preferred