At Paylocity, we are committed to expansion of our world-class suite of web-based software. Already a leading SaaS provider of Payroll, HR, Time & Labor Management, Online Benefits Enrollment, and Data Integration solutions, we are looking for talented individuals to ensure we continue to make it easier for our customers to do their jobs. Our Product Development organization nurtures a dynamic agile work environment full of talented individuals with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds. Guided by our shared values, and a passion for compelling software we come together to deliver great products and make Paylocity an exciting place to work.
The Product Team Leader (Development Manager) is a critical role in our Product Development organization. This key leader serves as manager and scrum master - enabling the product team to achieve their highest level of performance and team members to fulfill career goals. S/he acts as a servant leader and shelters the team from external distractions, allowing product team members to focus on their commitments and reach their full potential.
This position requires commitment to exceptional results, a strong desire for continuous improvement and the ability to build a collaborative culture within the product team. This in-turn will ensure we continue to innovate and expand our market-leading product suite.
Performance Objectives/Job Duties:
- Leads a product team in the successful end-to-end delivery of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solutions
- Facilitates scrum ceremonies, removing impediments, and enabling the product team to be their best
- Is a talent magnet; active in the local technology community and attracts top notch software and QA engineers to Paylocity
- Responsible for overall health of the team and process
- Capable of effectively managing tasks, resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-in-class team
- Partners with product owner to ensure product team has a shared understanding of vision, goals, and technical issues
- Provides context and ensures product team has line-of-sight to customers while fostering an environment of continuous improvement
- Develops T-shaped skill sets and leadership capabilities of team members
- Develops and implements measurable continuous improvement plans at team and product levels
- Nourishes a collaborative agile environment with a willingness to share ideas, where open and honest feedback flourishes
- Facilitates longer-term career plans with each member of the product team, and finds opportunities for team members to fulfill those goals
- Rewards top-performers and addresses performance issues in a timely and respectful way.
- Stays current with technology trends; is willing and able to learn new technologies and develop training materials for team members to quickly get up to speed on how best to use them in our environment
- Able to research standard patterns, best practices, and open-source packages, make recommendations when it is appropriate to use third party software versus developing in-house, and document how it should be used
- Actively contributes to the broader Product Team Leader Community of Practice, and seeks to apply the best thinking to the team’s practices
- Minimum 5 - 7 years in building business applications in a SaaS web development environment
- Minimum 3-5 years directly managing software engineers
- Hands-on knowledge of Agile engineering practices
- Familiarity with Enterprise Architecture and developer tools, strongly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or related field, preferred
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification or Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP), a plus
- Experience with Payroll, HR, Time & Attendance, Benefits, and Data Integration solutions, a plus