Guaranteed Rate is changing the way people buy homes. In 2015, we introduced the Digital Mortgage SM solution, enabling people to get approved for a loan online in less than 30 minutes. With our low rates and dedication to customer success, we quickly became the eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the country.
We are looking for an experienced Clojure software developer to create services and applications that will change the mortgage industry completely!
The Financial technology space "Fintech" is booming and Guaranteed Rate is at the center of it. We are focused on automating the mortgage process for consumers. Imagine getting a mortgage with no email, no faxing, no stack of papers in 10 days or less instead of 30 or more! If you have been through the process of buying a home you know how amazing this will be. We are the #8 lender in the country and one of only 2 that is independent (not a bank) so we are in a good spot to win this race. We have already made tremendous strides and we are looking for someone who wants to help us finish the job and disrupt the entire industry.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are young, technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – get people and great priced mortgages alongside our impeccable customer service. We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer and an open floor plan – no cubicle life here. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
So what do we want from you?
We want an engineer that knows Clojure, the Clojure ecosystem: cheshire, compojure, cli-time, and the suite of great Open Source clojure tools. We need someone who who knows how to build a complex architecture with microservices, distributed systems, Linux, latest deployment methodologies and tools, and has experience in modeling complex business domains. (S)he will also be responsible for leading other developers in architecture, design and modern engineering practices. We have a mixed platform environment with the focus in Linux-based and open source technologies.
A few other things too:
- Create and execute a technical strategy. This includes getting other engineers to follow you.
- Minimally 50% of your time will be hands-on coding - more is better.
- In line with DevOps philosophy, fully own applications from design to operations.
- We have a teaching & learning culture, be good at growing junior engineers and teaching Clojure to other engineers.
- It’s a complicated industry and you need to communicate well with business stakeholders.
- Aid in improving standards and practices on your team (source control, testing, deployment, etc).
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A minimum of 5 years software development experience working in a complex environment.
- 4+ years of experience with distributed application architectures
- Ability to produce efficient, clean code that is resilient and maintainable
- Outstanding performance tuning and troubleshooting skills required.
- Ability to understand business goals, recognize client needs and link them to specific technical solutions.
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral
- Expertise in Clojure
- Expertise in development on Linux platform
- Experience with CI or CD
- Experience with SOA and REST
- Experience with infrastructure as a service such as AWS is a plus
More about Guaranteed Rate…
Guaranteed Rate is one of the ten largest retail mortgage lenders in the U.S. The company has become The Home Purchase Experts® by offering industry-leading self-service tools and low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago with approximately 175 offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with more than $65 billion in home purchase loans and refinances since 2000. Guaranteed Rate was ranked No. 1 in Scotsman Guide’s “Top Mortgage Lenders 2013” honors, and was recognized by Inc. magazine as the No. 4 private company job creator in the U.S. in 2013. Visit www.guaranteedrate.com for more information.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason, as protected by law.