Guaranteed Rate is changing the way people buy homes. In 2015, we introduced the Digital Mortgage SM solution, enabling people to get approved for a loan online in less than 30 minutes. With our low rates and dedication to customer success, we quickly became the eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the country.
ABOUT GUARANTEED RATE:
Guaranteed Rate, one of the largest and fastest growing independent mortgage companies in the U.S., is an industry leader in delivering low rate, low fee mortgages with unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago, we have nearly 3,000 employees in over 170 offices nationwide. Guaranteed Rate is the 8th largest retail lender in the country and has recently been recognized in Inc. Magazine as a top private job creator and one of the fastest-growing private companies in the U.S.
Guaranteed Rate is working to reinvent the mortgage experience through innovation, technology and a relentless focus on providing industry-leading mortgage products and superlative customer service. The Senior Counsel for Consumer Regulatory and Mortgage Matters will embrace and support these efforts by interpreting and keeping abreast of regulatory changes, ensuring that the Company complies with a host of federal and state laws, including consumer regulatory requirements relating to the residential mortgage business. The ideal candidate is able to work independently, solve problems creatively, prioritize relentlessly, exercise business judgment soundly, and operate with a sense of urgency to get things done. The Senior Counsel will report directly to the Chief Compliance Officer and support Executive Management and the General Counsel.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Counsel will be expected to:
Provide advice, guidance and insight to Executive Leadership, management and others on existing and emerging consumer regulatory issues. Follow and report on emerging trends of federal and state regulatory and enforcement agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, U.S Department of Justice, State Attorneys General and others.
Support the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer in developing and enhancing the Company’s Compliance Management Program, Risk Management Program, Compliance Risk Assessment Process and other key initiatives. Provide key leadership in identifying consumer regulatory risk and executing risk mitigation programs that are consistent with safe and sound business practices and appropriate business growth and support.
Identify, develop and implement new and improved policies and procedures to support compliance with a wide array of consumer regulatory matters while supporting the Company’s key business initiatives.
Build trust as essential legal partner with business leaders to identify productive and business-focused solutions to ongoing consumer regulatory challenge.
CORPORATE GROUPS SUPPORTED BY THIS POSITION:
Compliance, Risk Management, Technology, Sales, Production, Underwriting, Marketing, and Strategic Planning.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Financial Services Experience -- Three or more years of consumer regulatory experience in the financial services space, with an emphasis on residential mortgage lending and related mortgage activities.
- Mortgage Operations Experience – Strong knowledge of the following areas:
- TRID – Designing and implementing test plans to ensure compliance with the TILA-RESPA Integrated Disclosure rules.
- QM/ATR – Compliance with the Qualified Mortgage safe harbor provisions and Ability to Repay requirements in the mortgage origination process.
- Regulation Z/ Loan Originator Compensation Rule – Drafting and implementing loan originator compensation plans and incentive programs in compliance with the LO Comp Rule.
- RESPA – Compliance with Section 8 of RESPA, including with respect to co-marketing and co-branding agreements with real estate settlement service providers.
- Privacy and Security Experience – Experience with privacy and security matters for financial institutions, including drafting privacy and security policies and procedures, managing incident response, and compliance with applicable federal and state privacy and security laws, rules and regulations, including the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and state breach notification laws.
- Advertising and Marketing Experience – Experience reviewing print, digital, radio, and television advertising and marketing collateral and campaigns for compliance with applicable federal and state laws, rules and regulations, including the FTC Act, Truth-In-Lending, UDAAP, Fair Lending and the SAFE Act. Working knowledge of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Do Not Call rules, and Telephone Sales Rule relative to call center activities, lead acquisition, and telephone marketing best practices is required. Experience with intellectual property preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to cope with a rapidly changing regulatory environment in a leadership capacity.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish trusted partnerships with all levels of management.
- Flexibility and willingness to work with challenging timelines.
- Self-directed professional with attention to detail and excellent planning and prioritization skills.
- EDUCATION - Juris Doctor Degree.
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law.