We exist to help you enjoy the moments most important to you and yours by inspiring satisfying, stress-free meals fit for the way you live. We use the power of cooking to bring people together as the cornerstone of realizing each person’s full potential–in the home and in life.
Part of Berkshire Hathaway, Pampered Chef is the premier direct seller of high-quality kitchen tools. At cooking shows, our independent consultants help guests use our unique products to prepare simple and delicious recipes while sharing tips and techniques to make everyday cooking easier and faster.
Whether the cook is a future Emeril or a toddler helping to make chocolate chip cookies (licking the spoon, of course!), chances are Pampered Chef has a better, faster, and more delicious way of getting things done in the kitchen. We sell our superior-quality, innovative collection of prepping, cooking, and serving products through a network of more than 42,000 direct sales consultants throughout the US, Canada, and Germany. Millions of customers use our products every day. Each of our 450 HQ coworkers—from product designers and supply chain specialists to ecommerce developers—is committed to bringing the best to our customers. And we have fun doing it!
Established in 1980 by Doris Christopher, Pampered Chef was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway in 2002, a sure sign of our growth potential. In 2014, Tracy Britt Cool, a key member of Warren Buffett’s team, joined as our CEO to lead our transformation into a progressive, open door, cutting-edge workplace. We believe happy coworkers are the best coworkers and are committed to keeping creativity, innovative solutions and customer engagement top of mind. Pampered Chef is pushing the boundaries for our customers, consultants, and coworkers.MAIN COURSE (Job Responsibilities):
We’re composed of four web agile teams focusing on different business functions in eCommerce. We work on software focused on successfully supporting our 42,000 consultants’ account management, sales tools, promotions, and pamperedchef.com. Our technology stack includes Java, Hybris®, Oracle, Spring, Hibernate®, and Selenium®…just to name a few! Here’s how you’ll contribute to the team:
- You’ll build solutions that delight our customers, lift sales, and contribute to the success of our consultants—our engineers make a difference!
- You’ll seek novel ways to solve a problem, leverage new tools, implement cutting-edge approaches, push the boundaries, and inspire coworkers.
- You’ll drive innovation within the team in areas including development efficiencies, custom component development and integration, leading-edge industry concepts and developments, plus you’ll manage the life cycle of web software development projects of all sizes.
- You’ll partner with product owners to tackle challenging solutions that require not only technical skills but also understanding our customer, the products we sell, consultant challenges, and the direct sales business climate.
- You’ll lead the process of gathering and defining business requirements, writing technical specifications, developing prototypes, coding, unit testing, and implementing programs on new and current systems that are assigned to web development.
- You’ll mentor other engineers, review their work, and provide constructive feedback. Stretch their skills and recognize their achievements.
- You’ll be an active member of the corporate interview panel, participate in hiring the brightest, most innovative developers who will bring fun and energy to the team.
- You’ll build and maintain scalable ecommerce APIs (e.g. shopping cart management, order management, etc.) that will support Pampered Chef’s internal-, consultant-, and website-facing set of tools.
- Your projects will primarily be new development and improvements to architecture about 80% of time (all front end).
- You’ll be a key part in accurately estimating the timing of software delivery, and you’ll be accountable for meeting your delivery commitments.
- You’ll work in an Agile environment and participate in daily scrum stand-ups.
- You’ll provide third level production support and troubleshooting.
- You’ll contribute to our collective brainpower through innovation and peer review.
- You have a history of success in IT, formally or informally mentored a team, are viewed as a “go to”.
- Java is your language of choice: you have strong command over it to develop reliable, secure, and high-performing services.
- You bring expertise working with a variety of Java-based frameworks.
- You’re good with creating ad-hoc prototypes from ideas or mockups from wireframes.
- Agile Environment—you sprint to work every morning.
- Solid relational modeling skills and have worked extensively with relational databases; Oracle a plus.
- Top skills in producing and consuming SOAP and RESTful services.
- You never write a line of code that’s not testable. You’re the expert at unit testing and version control; JUnit a plus.
- You know your way around a Content Management System. Hybris experience scores you points.
- Providing thought-provoking solutions during whiteboarding sessions is your game. You’re willing to push boundaries while presenting to leadership.
- Creating easy and comfortable communication with non-technical coworkers is second nature.
- You are someone who takes pride in your work, can balance priorities, and wants the opportunity to work with equally talented developers.
- You are a leader who brings fun to the work day.
- “Let’s get it done” is your motto.
- You own it.
WHAT’S IN OUR TECH PANTRY
Java, J2EE, Native Mobile Apps, Hybris, Appium, Selenium, Apache Nutch, Responsive Design, Apache Solr, REST/SOAP/Web Services, XML, HTML, CSS, JSON, Spring, Mercurial, Agile workflows, MDM, CDH, RedHat, Oracle, Linux, Eclipse, Salesforce, JUnit, Chef, Puppet, LAMP, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, AWS Cloud, open-source tools like Solr, and crazy hats of all shapes and sizes.
DESSERT! (The Sweet Rewards of Working at Pampered Chef!)
Our core values are respect, humility, accountability, meritocracy, integrity, authenticity, passion, and innovation (in no particular order!). We embody those values in our work, but also in the great desserts we offer to our coworkers.
- Each and every coworker makes a difference every day by asking tough questions, finding the answers, and then making it happen—our entrepreneurial employees are the key to our success! Pampered Chef is big enough to implement cutting-edge technology, and small enough for all ideas to be heard and challenged.
- We are a learning focused environment—we want you to learn from us, and we expect to learn from you and what you’re passionate about! We even provide training and development for added brainpower.
- We get to mix it up! PC has offices in Addison and in downtown Chicago. Some of our roles will have the opportunity to work in the Chicago office full time, part time, or on occasion.
- We collaborate every day in a high-tech space with writable walls, open collaboration zones, quiet “I need to contemplate” zones, and fun zones with ping pong, basketball, and bags, of course. No boring cubicle farms here!
- We are concerned about your physical and financial well-being and offer BC/BS PPO or HMO health plans, dental, disability, matched 401K, life insurance, on-site fitness center, comfy chairs, on-site cafeteria, and dry cleaning valet service.
- Most importantly, Pampered Chef has a strong, proven history of bringing fun to cooking, creativity to recipes, and sharing to family and friends around the table.