Established in 1998, Cars.com is one of Chicago’s original tech companies. Our online platform makes it easier for consumers to shop for, sell and service their cars.
With our expert content, mobile app features, millions of new and used vehicle listings, a comprehensive set of research tools and the largest database of consumer reviews in the industry, Cars.com offers innovative products to connect consumers with dealers across the country.
Change is in our DNA, and 2016 was no exception! Last year we announced our move to a new Chicago HQ and the acquisition of DealerRater, the largest online ratings platform for car dealerships. And in 2017, we’ll become a free-standing, publicly traded company!
A true constant through the years has been the incredible culture we've created. Our employees have cultivated an environment leveraging technology, fostering innovation and embracing collaboration. We take pride in how Cars.com empowers our people to win and gain valuable experiences along the way!
Cars.com, a top-tier online destination for automobile shoppers and sellers, seeks an experienced and passionate user experience professional to join our growing user experience team.
The Interaction Designer collaborates closely with the Product Manager, Scrum Master, Visual Designer and Developers to design intuitive products that make the car shopping experience a pleasure. The Interaction designer is a key driver of product discovery and is responsible for gaining a deep understanding of the products users, their behaviors and determining their needs. The Interaction Designer facilitates the design discussion and helps to define future product features while balancing real users needs and wants with business goals and technological capabilities. We are looking for creative problem solvers with a passion for innovation to join our team. In this job you will be enjoy the following:
- Conceptualize new product features and validate they are valuable and feasible to customers and our business.
- Serve as a user advocate throughout the discovery and development process.
- Illuminate and define user interface requirements, including user scenarios, user stories, page flows, task analysis, wireframes and website copy.
- Work with visual designers and front-end developers to ensure interaction and visual design is consistent with user interface requirements and usability best practices.
- Lead and manage product releases, including user acceptance testing.
- Track and analyze user-behavior metrics; define new metrics when necessary.
- Help plan and support user research, including heuristic evaluations, usability testing, A/B testing, surveys and focus groups.
- Analyze results, recommend and execute appropriate product/interface changes.
- Lead business and functional requirements gathering as needed.
- Facilitate and lead design discussions with the product team and product stakeholders
- Offer creative solutions to product-related design/usability challenges and expose site usability problems.
- Well versed in web-based information architecture, user-centered design methods and current web technologies.
- Knowledgeable and passionate about usability and modern user interface best practices.
- Proficient with design and prototyping tools such as sketch, InVision, UserTesting.com, Axure, Omnigraffle, Photoshop, Balsamiq Mockups
- Experience documenting or participating in business and user interface requirements gathering.
- Ability to solve complex user (cognitive) problems through interface design and usability expertise.
- Experience creating consistent and reusable site-wide pattern systems.
- Familiar with visual design concepts including grids, typography, color harmony, and an understanding of how overall aesthetic details affect the user experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and proven ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with Agile and Lean UX methodologies is a plus.
5+ years experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, web product manager or similar role. Direct experience with e-commerce, online classifieds, online data reporting or large-scale web application development initiatives is an attractive plus for this position. Bachelors or Masters degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Information Design or a related field is preferred.