Chicago magazine is seeking a smart, efficient, talented Assistant Editor to join our award-winning team.
For the past half-century, Chicago magazine has been the city's preeminent source for award-winning long-form journalism, authoritative dining reviews and news, incisive political coverage, and timely intel on culture, health, fashion and more.
Chicago magazine is part of Tribune Publishing. Learn more about working for us at tribpub.com/careers.
- Help with idea generation and editing of front-of-the-book “department” stories, finding clever ways to package both newsy and service items for print.
- Oversee the twice-a-year Habitat home design section.
- Oversee our intern program, finding suitable candidates and helping train them and manage their workloads.
- Write short stories for print and Web as needed. Generate feature ideas.
- Track new Chicago-related books coming out for coverage or excerpt use.
- Assist senior editors as needed with administrative duties that range from updating staff subscriptions to tracking editorial financial expenses.
- Bachelor’s degree and one to two years’ experience working in print or digital journalism
- Outstanding reporting and writing abilities
- Fact-checking experience
- Strong organizational skills
- A detail-oriented editorial eye
- Passion for telling great Chicago stories