Associate Editor at Built In
At Built In, the health, safety and well-being of our employees and of our communities is a top priority. Due to the effects of COVID-19, we have decided to manage our entire business remotely until further notice. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our office. As we continue to grow, we are excited to be hiring for all open roles and look forward to meeting with qualified candidates in a virtual setting. For anyone who joins our team (yay!), your onboarding experience will also be conducted virtually. Thank you for your interest in Built In and be safe!
Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after tech professionals use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and finding innovative companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco and nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We're Looking for an Associate Editor for Our Guides & Explainers Team
The primary goal of Built In’s editorial content team is to attract and retain readers to our local market sites and to BuiltIn.com by creating materials that instruct, inform and inspire. Candidate quality is Built In’s core differentiator over our competitors in the talent space, and the editorial content team’s work strengthens our reach and reputation among both aspiring and existing technology professionals in the markets we serve. By publishing articles — features, news, explainers, and professional development content — relevant to their passions and professions, the editorial content team ensures that Built In is a regular destination for this core audience, and the first they go to when pursuing new opportunities.
Reporting to the senior editor of features and explainers, you will manage a team of explainer journalists whose articles draw consistent traffic to our sites through organic search. This is a new role for our team, and the person who fills it will be responsible for several important initiatives, including: integrating our existing SEO content team with our broader editorial team, elevating the quality of our explainers and guides, and developing a coverage strategy to reach new audiences in tech hubs across the country. Traffic growth and national brand recognition will be major parts of defining success in this role.
We have ambitious audience growth goals for the coming year, and this associate editor will be integral to helping us reach them. In addition to managing your own team of reporters, you will collaborate closely with other teams across our growth organization to identify new opportunities, iterate on existing strategies and find new and creative ways to answer questions members of our audience are curious about. The associate editor will also be an effective coach who helps reporters with varying levels of journalism experience grow professionally and consistently publish work that aligns with our editorial strategy. You will also work closely with other editors on our team to ensure consistency in style, voice and standards across all the types of editorial content we produce.
What You Will Do
- Manage a team of up to 5 reporters, and collaborate with other editors and our audience research team to publish highly relevant stories for our audience of tech professionals.
- Oversee the integration of our existing SEO content team into our broader editorial content organization and elevate the standard for our guides and explainer articles.
- Experiment with new storytelling formats that answer common questions about technology, with the goal of drawing readers to our site through newsletters, social media and organic search traffic.
- Respond to audience analytics and other measures of impact and adjust assignment strategies accordingly.
- Provide substantive comments, line edits and copy edits on drafts to elevate the quality of our storytelling and help our reporters grow professionally.
What You Need
- A strong passion for technology, startups and entrepreneurship.
- Three-plus years in a journalistic capacity.
- One-plus year of experience as an editor, including technical editing experience.
- Strong substantive, line and copy editing skills, and an eye for engaging headlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to lead and motivate.
- Familiarity with basic concepts in business and technology.
- Excellent analytical skills and familiarity with search engine optimization best practices.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.