Content Strategy Manager, Zoro at Zoro
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers more than 5 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
Zoro is looking for a strategic-minded individual who can help with our new efforts in Content Marketing. As a growing e-retailer, we have a growing need to provide not only the supplies our customers need, but also to provide value-add informational content to help customers with their buying decisions, engage with our target audience in new ways, and to reinforce Zoro’s brand.
A successful Content Marketing Strategist will need an entrepreneurial / “builder” mindset to help stand up this new function at Zoro. Development of the content strategy will require a deep understanding of our business, the customers that we serve, and content creation best practices.
The person in this role will interact with various parts of the Zoro organization while sitting on the Digital Marketing team. It would be common for this person to work with partners in Social Media, SEM/SEO, Email, Creative Services, Industry Marketing, Merchandising, UI/UX and Category Management on content creation, execution, and delivery to intended audiences. This individual will need to develop strong relationships with stakeholders and will need to be able to successfully influence others to reach desired organizational outcomes.
There is also an expectation that the person in this role may need to fill Public Relations functions for Zoro on an occasional basis i.e. if the need arises where an ad hoc press release needs to be written and shared with relevant media partners, or if we need to liaise with the PR team at our parent company.
Given that Zoro is a B2B retailer, a strong background knowledge of the B2B mindset for both customers and the suppliers who partner with us to sell their product is preferred.
This job is an individual contributor role in the immediate term, but it has potential to take on additional scope as the role matures beyond its startup phase.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consolidating Zoro’s Content Marketing practices from disparate parts of the organization into one newly formed, centralized function.
- Developing an overarching Content Marketing strategy that aligns with Zoro’s overall business strategy, our brand promise, and the goals of the specific content being designed.
- Providing strategic direction, thought leadership in applying content best practices for Merchandising and Marketing.
- Developing, maintaining, and supporting appropriate content and messaging frameworks, e.g. style guides
- Building processes for content creation in partnership with Zoro’s Creative Services group
- Developing and maintaining an editorial calendar to organize and schedule content
- Managing agency partners and other outside vendors and overseeing budgets for content-related marketing efforts
- Evangelising Content Marketing within Zoro and convincingly demonstrating the business value that it provides the organization.
- Regularly capturing and reporting on relevant metrics that uncover meaningful Content Marketing insights for our business.
- Bachelor's degree required: journalism, marketing, public relations are a plus; MA/MS/MBA preferred
- Seven to ten years experience in a related content field
- Demonstrated ability to lead content marketing campaigns; first hand experience in content marketing with industrial supply distribution companies are a plus
- Understanding of content marketing best practices and tactics such as SEO link-building outreach, digital advertising, and social media marketing
- Experience managing press releases
- Demonstrated ability to work across cross functional organizations and develop cohesive executable strategies
- Outstanding communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Mastery of standard spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.