Data Journalist at Saggezza
Data Journalist- Chicago, IL
Smarter Thinking. Real Results. Technology consulting has been our story for over 14 years. Companies from all industries partner with us for our innovative mindset to help them digitally transform to create market advantages, become resilient, and prepare for what’s next. With us, the possible becomes actual.
We provide strategic and innovative consulting services focused on digital experiences, engineering, automation, data and analytics, and salesforce solutions. Saggezza consultants work as part of a global team, and throughout their tenure, have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects across various clients and industries. We are chartered to do one thing, and one thing only – to bring enabling technology to our clients that allow them to move their business forward.
We are currently looking to hire a Data Journalist to join our growing Data & Analytics practice based in Chicago, IL.
Every engagement will be different, but you'll always be responsible for:
- Pitching data-driven stories and graphics.
- Creating data visualizations based on research and reporting.
- Assisting team members with data research for graphics including creating content and generating maps.
- Taking the concept from data gathering through completion by incorporating data-driven changes to transform data into something tangible
- From a cultural perspective, we look for individuals who possess the following qualities that will contribute to our success and the success of our clients:
- Entrepreneurial spirit: We seek individuals who enjoy contributing to the growth of an organization and who show commitment to the success of their team.
- Problem-solving skills: Individuals at our company have well-honed analytical skills coupled with business acumen to structure problems, deliver solutions, and communicate insights.
- Drive: Our team sets ambitious goals and seeks energetic professionals, enjoy a fast pace environment, and thrive in taking on responsibility.
What You’ll Definitely Need:
- A Bachelor's degree in Journalism or English.
- At least 2 years of experience reporting and building data visualizations.
- Experience collecting and cleaning data, with regards to best journalistic practices.
- Experience using large amounts of quantitative information.
- Familiarity with data-visualization libraries (Chart.js or Dimple) and standard design software such as Adobe Illustrator. Understanding of layout, typography, and UX. Experience with mobile-web development is highly advantageous.
What We'd Love to See
- Experience with data mining.
- Interest in innovative storytelling formats, A.R., V.R., or 3-D.
- Flexibility to work occasional nights or weekends, based on story deadlines.
- Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Ability to visualize complex ideas in a clear and concise manner and write detailed methodology notes.
Experience with any of the following:
- D3, Raphael, Canvas, WebGL, or other rendering or animation libraries
- Mapping tools such as QGIS
- Relational and cosument- based data stores, such as SQL Server, MySQL or Postgres
Don’t tick all the boxes? Don’t worry about it: we still want to hear from you if you think you’re the right person for the job.
Why Join Our Team?
- Diverse culture, experiences, and skills.
- Our nurturing and supportive environment fosters collaboration across the entire organization.
- We are not hierarchical but operate as a flat surface where every opinion matters, ideas are cultivated and innovation is encouraged.
- At Saggezza, we are fortunate to have a strong mentorship program that provides every one of our employees the ability to thrive professionally and personally.
- We are only as good as our people. Saggezza, Italian for wisdom, is rooted from the perspective that knowledge is power. We create thought-leaders who are constantly exposed and trained in different technologies in the ever-evolving world of software development.
- We welcome innovators with entrepreneurial spirits to grow with our team.
- Consulting Magazine - Fastest Growing Firms 2019
- Built-In Top Places to Work in Chicago 2020
- Best and Brightest Companies in the Nation 2019 and 2020, Best and Brightest Companies in Milwaukee 2020 and Best and Brightest Companies in Chicago 2020
Saggezza is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: We believe in treating each employee and applicant for employment fairly and with dignity. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law.