Deputy Sports Editor
Chicago Tribune’s suburban Chicago papers are seeking an experienced, dynamic content editor to fill the role of deputy sports editor. The person in this role will work with staff reporters, freelance reporters and the suburban sports editor to help plan and edit high school sports coverage for six Chicago-area daily publications – the Daily Southtown, Lake County News-Sun, Naperville Sun, The Courier-News in Elgin, The Beacon-News in Aurora, and the Post-Tribune in northwest Indiana.
All interested applicants must apply by Thursday, June 20, 2019 to be considered.
- The successful candidate will possess excellent news writing and headline writing skills, be adept at website and social media editing, and have at least three years of editing experience in a professional journalism setting.
- Candidates should thrive in a team-based and competitive environment to help reporters develop riveting features, profiles and longer form stories.
- This journalist will be responsible for guiding daily and long-term prep sports coverage.
- A candidate should be able to meet deadlines with content that includes accurate grammar and style, complete and balanced reporting, and high ethical standards.
Successful candidates should have a bachelor's degree, journalism preferred, and at least three years of professional editing and reporting experience, with some background in sports preferred.
Other requirements of the position include:
- Editing and posting content daily as an active member of the suburban sports coverage team;
- Leading and executing original story ideas in consultation with the reporters and other editors;
- Working the equivalent of a 5-day, 40-hour week, which will include night shifts and weekend work;
- Assisting reporters on issues that relate directly to their beats;
- Contributing daily to the our social media presence via Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Being willing to work remotely