Editor (3 month contract)
Hello, we’re Built In
We are a network of online communities for technology companies and startups. We connect talent to startups, cover local tech news and host events. Headquartered in Chicago, we currently operate in seven markets: Chicago, LA, NYC, Colorado, Austin, Boston and Seattle.
By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — talent and awareness — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy editor with client-facing experience to manage our Insider Spotlight article production in partnership with our project manager. You will be joining our creative team, which is composed of writers, editors, designers, strategists and UX experts collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of tech and startup communities.
How you’ll contribute
As an Editor, you will co-manage Insider Spotlights, which are part of Built In’s employer branding/paid content product offering. Insider Spotlights are in-depth Q&A format articles with original photography that showcase employees at various companies speaking on their company or team cultures, the growth journeys of their companies or the tech innovation being built by their teams. The Editor will edit and publish additional employer branding content as needed.
The Editor will provide creative consultation during customer-facing kickoff calls, enforce Built In’s editorial policy, voice and tone, and ensure production adheres to writing, editing, publishing and distribution deadlines. This position requires a collaboration champion who can work with customers, account managers, staff editors, staff writers, freelancers, as well as a project manager and content director.
The Editor will execute against monthly and quarterly goals for Insider Spotlights, ensuring that articles move through the content pipeline, meet customer expectations and adhere to publication and distribution dates.
The Editor will work 30-40 hours from Built In’s Chicago headquarters in River North for a period of three months.
What you need
- You should be enthusiastic about startups and tech companies.
- You should be an experienced editor, capable of collaborating with customers to develop strategic pieces designed to drive conversions or support company brands.
- You should be a digital native, capable of working within a robust content management system.
- You should have experience leading distribution plans across social media and email distribution channels in partnership with our creative and growth teams.
- Previous writing and editing experience for a tech publication is preferred.
- You should have previous experience working with staff and freelance employees.
- You should be available to work at least 30 hours/week.
What We Value
- Flexible personality — You should thrive on change while remaining organized, optimistic and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help, too.
- Communication — You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. Your ability to present complex messages and professionally interact with multiple levels of an organization is paramount.
- Interest in the tech industry — You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends - This job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of traditional work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but a combination of life and work.
- Culture fit — You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as with all of the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education — We value intelligence, personality and overall fit over a degree.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.