Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $5 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a driven, self-motivated editorial lead to join our marketing team. You'll be a key player in raising the bar for human-first, helpful personal finance content.
What You'll Do
You’ll sit on the Content & Social team, a subgroup of our Communications (and Marketing) teams. You’ll help our clients improve their financial well-being through informed, educational, helpful, human content. You’ll turn jargon into meaning and will make the boring engaging and less intimidating. You’ll also:
- Lead the overall editorial process for long-form content, ensuring high quality, alignment with brand and regulatory standards, and relevance to our clients.
- Collaborate and lead editorial calendar planning, prioritization, research, and revisions.
- Write, edit, and curate content for a variety of channels like our newsletter and blog.
- Research, monitor, and iterate based on performance and trends.
- Pitch new story ideas and content formats.
- Contribute to other Content & Social team initiatives as needed.
- Work closely with other teams and partners at M1 like PR, Social & Community, SEO, Brand/Creative, Growth, Acquisition, and more.
- Share funny GIFs, pictures of pets, latest reads, and passions with the team. We’ll share ours, too (we may even turn you into a Slack emoji).
You’re a storyteller with a passion for personal finance, wealth building, and wellness. You have an eye for detail and a high standard for quality. You love being part of a team, and a high-growth environment energizes you. And:
- You have 5+ years of experience in content, writing, or journalism.
- You have proven experience leading an editorial team.
- You have a strong command of understanding business and personal finance concepts, including market news, trends, behavior, and more.
- You are comfortable working on tight deadlines and in changing news environments.
- You are a strong writer, researcher, and editor: you’re curious, you cut out the jargon, and you write with clarity.
- You have a track record of uncovering new opportunities and adding value through content.
- You understand or are interested in topics like mental models, self-improvement, intentionality, psychology, habits, motivation, and more.
- You understand or are interested in personal finance, behavioral finance, and financial wellness topics.
- You are a strong communicator – both written and oral.
- You are a self-starter who thrives in fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and collaborative environments.
- You have a passion for learning and love to drive improvement in yourself and others.
The following are a huge plus:
- Experience in social media or content focused on personal finance or financial services.
- A background in personal finance/finance.
- Chicago based is a plus, but we’re open to remote candidates.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym