Head of Brand Copy
Are you excited by the idea of leading a team of writers and making an impact on brand through mentorship and empowerment? Sprout Social’s Creative Team is looking for an experienced Brand Copy Manager to lead a team of writers and join forces with the other creative disciplines at Sprout to create compelling experiences for Sprout’s various audiences.
The copy leader we seek is someone who will thrive in leading a team of writers with varying backgrounds and strengths. You’ll be responsible for contributing tactically and strategically to the long-term vision of the brand voice, bringing our brand to life with words that speak to and delight our audience and inspire action. While you should be excited about working with our business partners and solving challenges that require creative expertise, we want you to be equally excited about one-on-one mentorship and the career development of your direct reports. If you have an extensive background in creative copywriting, conversion copywriting, copy editing, editorial writing and other written forms of content creation, combined with experience collaborating with design, or storytelling through video, we’d love to talk with you.
Within 1 month, you’ll...
- Attend 2 weeks of Sprout Social training to learn the ins and outs of the product and better understand the value that Sprout delivers to our customers.
- Meet with Creative Leadership and discuss everything from team structure to goals for the organization.
- Meet with key partners in the Marketing organization to understand current goals, challenges and areas where design can provide the most value.
- Meet with the People team and understand how Creative impacts culture.
- Get exposure and build relationships with other Creative disciplines (Brand, Video, Design, Marketing Development and Product).
- Set up regular touchpoints with your direct reports on the Brand Copy team.
- Take time to develop a working relationship with Design, Video and Motion as these are your closest partners and an extension of your team.
- Meet with Project Management to develop an understanding of the team’s current process and structure.
- Familiarize yourself with Sprout’s brand (including our family of products).
- Immerse yourself in Sprout’s brand positioning and how that relates to the story that we want to tell throughout our marketing.
- Soak up knowledge from every corner of the org!
Within 3 months, you’ll...
- Have a good understanding of the product, our industry and Sprout’s customer base.
- Collaborate with Marketing leaders to understand a roadmap of upcoming projects.
- Provide guidance to writers on a project basis to ensure that strategy aligns with the Marketing organization’s goals.
- Provide copy direction and inspire creativity amongst the Brand Writers and everyone across creative disciplines.
- Act as the lead editor for the Brand Copy team.
- Regularly meet with your direct reports on the Brand Copy team to discuss career goals and growth.
- Weigh in on resourcing; helping align design skill sets to various areas of the business
- Coordinate with Creative leaders on Video to ensure that we are telling compelling stories across various mediums.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Creative leaders to ensure excellence in all written communication and alignment between brand and marketing vision.
Within 6 months you’ll…
- Successfully implement change in how we approach creative work, and have tangible results from your impact
- Comfortably step into copy direction and influence strategy on projects to ensure each experience aligns with long term goals and vision for the brand.
- Work with Marketing to ensure that Copy can successfully act as a strategic partner within the organization.
- Work with Creative and Marketing execs to craft the growth and development of Brand Copy Team.
Within 12 months you’ll…
- Spend more time with execs on long term vision for the team, org planning
- Help co-author the Creative Team’s annual Mission, Goals and Objectives for 2019
- Who knows! Part of joining a company at this size and growth curve is being comfortable with some unknowns, and an evolving set of responsibilities!
NOTE: An online portfolio and/or samples of your work is required for consideration.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!