What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
About the Role
The Head of Content Marketing will develop and execute a comprehensive content strategy that aligns with Civis’s overall sales and business growth strategy. We are looking for someone who is naturally curious, with great organizational and writing skills, and a passion for storytelling using data. This person will work closely with marketing, surveys and applied data science teams, but should be a self-starter who can independently oversee projects and is comfortable with the ambiguity that comes from being at a growth-stage company.
- Own development and execution of a comprehensive content marketing strategy
- Develop the brand’s written voice/tone, and ensure it’s applied consistently across content
- Lead the writing, editing and production of Civis’s marketing content
- Collaborate with Civis’s survey team to ask interesting questions of American consumers; analyze resulting data for trends/insights; create interesting, visual content from the data
- Ensure that all sales materials (one-pagers, web copy, intro decks) align with each sector's strategy and reflects Civis’s brand voice
- Write client impact stories and educational content that people actually want to read
- Break down complex topics and datasets into interesting and digestible content / visualizations
- Support PR efforts by writing contributed content on behalf of company executives
- BA/BS degree in related field such as journalism, statistics, or data science
- 7-10 years of experience with both content strategy and execution
- Passion for both data/statistics and writing
- Can write in a conversational voice and translate difficult/technical topics so anyone can understand
- Self-starter with solid organizational and planning skills
- Love of maps, charts and other data visualizations; strong understanding of what kind of data is best conveyed in what manner
- Survey or data analysis experience
- Knowledge of SEO content best practices
- Familiarity with interactive data visualization libraries such as D3
- Journalism experience
- Experience with SQL, Python or R
- Familiarity with static visualization tools, such as Leaflet, ggplot2, plotly, matplotlib
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW