Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after tech professionals use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and finding jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and a national audience through BuiltIn.com.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We’re looking for a Managing Editor
Built In is looking for a seasoned leader to oversee the editorial direction for our Growth Content Team (local news, feature articles and professional development content) for all 8 of our markets as well as BuiltIn.com. In this role you will oversee 4 teams comprised of 15 people. These teams are composed of editors, writers, and content strategists collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of the tech and startup community. We are looking for someone who is a tech lovin’, analytical, and a strong visionary leader with experience scaling editorial teams.
How you’ll contribute
- Work closely with Built In leadership to envision and execute Built In’s long term editorial strategic direction.
- Lead Editorial Teams, spearheading Built In’s editorial direction while providing a framework for operational efficiency and scalability during Built In’s next growth phase.
- Directly manage editorial leads, providing coaching and development. Set clear goals and direction, ensuring that your team has what they need to be successful.
- Oversee capacity planning and recruit new content producers and continue to develop freelance editorial network.
- Develop and manage a global content strategy that drives the following: Built In's brand awareness, website traffic, lead-generation efforts, user and customer acquisition and retention.
- Elevate and at times reimagine the Built In editorial voice and devise a plan to get us there with high quality, unique and scalable content.
- Use metrics to identify untapped opportunities in Built In’s editorial offerings and strategically lead effort to fill that space.
- Elevate and inspire with unique content formats so we can stay one step ahead of our tech savvy audience.
- Collaborate with Operations Team as needed to improve the efficiency of our platform-based publications and efficiency to scale.
What you need
- 3+ years senior-level experience in media or content-based tech and scaling a creative editorial team utilizing full time team members.
- Proven experience as a business-minded editorial lead with experience building and managing teams, reviewing data, goal setting, and achievement
- A desire to work in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
- Curiosity, excellent taste and editorial judgment.
- Ability to lead by example and be collaborative, upbeat, and solutions-oriented.
- A proven record of solving hard problems in creative and strategic ways.
- Comfort making data- as well as instinct-based decisions.