News Reporter at Built In
At Built In, the health, safety and well-being of our employees and of our communities is a top priority. Due to the effects of COVID-19, we have decided to manage our entire business remotely until further notice. HQ-based employees will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our office. As we continue to grow, we are excited to be hiring for all open roles and look forward to meeting with qualified candidates in a virtual setting. For anyone who joins our team (yay!), your onboarding experience will also be conducted virtually. Thank you for your interest in Built In and be safe!
Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. Our audience of sought-after tech professionals use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and finding innovative companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco and nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We're Looking for a News Reporter (Chicago HQ or Remote)
We’re expanding our team of reporters to cover breaking news for a sophisticated audience in the tech sector and beyond. The news reporter will be responsible for writing two-plus short to medium-length (300 to 500 words) news stories a day, in addition to occasional coverage on trends and broad topics in the technology industry as needed. This person will need to be highly skilled in research, interviewing and writing clean journalistic copy. Additionally, this person should be endlessly curious about tech innovations and what they say about the future.
You’d be joining a growing team responsible for telling bold and original stories that help an audience of tech professionals learn and build new things. You’ll collaborate closely with other members of the team to discover new approaches, formats and perspectives. Additionally, you'll be joining a company that enthusiastically invests in office culture, even with our current, remote-only workforce.
Who You Are
- Highly skilled in researching and interviewing and won’t hesitate to ask questions.
- Full of ideas and excitement for writing about tech industry news, whether it’s announcing a nascent startup’s latest funding, unpacking the impact of a founder’s trending tweet or translating what an SaaS startup says it does into accessible, human speak.
- Can think both holistically and analytically about your work.
- Hungry to use analytics to inform decision-making, including story selection and angle.
- Has a level of familiarity and/or curiosity with the tech and business beats and their daily news cycles.
What You Need
- Two-plus years of full-time news writing and reporting experience. Editing experience is a huge plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include two or three writing samples when applying).
- Strong news judgment.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Interest in social media.
What we value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.