Built In is a network of online communities that has quickly become the #1 recruitment solution for tech companies and startups in six major markets. We are our target market. We are a company of entrepreneurs building the next best recruitment platform for companies like us.
By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — talent and awareness — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions. We currently operate in six communities: Chicago, Los Angeles, Austin, New York City, Boston, Colorado, and are headquartered in Chicago.
As a staff writer, you will be joining our creative team, which is composed of writers, editors, designers, strategists and UX experts collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of the tech and startup community. We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy writer with a fresh voice and style. While this role is Chicago-based, the writer in this position will develop content for each Built In market but primarily focus on Los Angeles and Colorado.
Content Creation and Curation
Pitch and write at least 8-10 tech-focused stories per week across markets. Built In covers: breaking news stories (startup fundings, exits, etc.), company profile pieces, evergreen employer branded content such as leadership or team profiles, and data-based trend stories. A story is not a story unless it has interviews with relevant companies/entrepreneurs and supporting stats. Most of our stories are between 500 to 800 words, but some of our in-depth pieces can run longer.
Create and quickly produce error-free articles multiple times each day, five days per week.
You will be responsible for collaborating with the Built In creative/content team to stay on top of the latest tech news and sift through tech reports each day; conducting in-depth research for both quick turnaround and long-term features; identifying content relevant to Built In’s hyper-local audiences and producing original content through analysis or synthesis of existing stories; finding and articulating underlying stories in Built In’s own data reports and in other published tech reports; and occasionally attend tech and startup events to source the untold stories. You will learn how to navigate the local tech scene and select the best people to interview for stories.
- You should be enthusiastic about startups and tech companies.
- You should be an experienced writer, capable of producing both breaking news articles, as well as strategic pieces designed to drive conversions or support company brands.
- You should be a digital native, capable of managing social media channels to drive organic growth and support the tech community.
- Previous experience writing for a tech publication preferred.
What We Value
- Flexible personality — You should thrive on change while remaining organized, optimistic and coachable. High energy and contagious enthusiasm help too.
- Communication — You should have the ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and compellingly. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must. Your ability to present complex messages and professionally interact with multiple levels of an organization is paramount.
- Interest in the tech industry — You must be passionate about three things: (1) Startups (2) Building innovative tech products and services; and (3) Helping others. This is what we do.
- Willingness to work around the clock, sort of — This job involves working some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of traditional work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but a combination of life and work.
- Culture fit — You will need to get along with our team (which isn’t too hard, we think!) as well as all the members vital to the community in which you are building. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education — We value intelligence, personality and overall fit over a degree.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation, 401(k), stock options and benefits.
- We pay a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision and disability.
- Casual dress and flexible work hours. Come in your sweatshirt, jeans, college jersey. We don't care. We focus on the quality of your work and your collegiality more than on your apparel.
- Free food! Yes, you read that correctly. We keep our kitchen stocked with free healthy snack foods. We also have cold brew coffee on tap and provide catered lunch (Monday through Thursday). We eat lunch together most days, which means you’ll quickly feel like part of the team.
- Fun work environment — we operate as a flat organization where everyone is responsible to self-manage and take ownership of their work. We are humble, hardworking, honest and fun. And we regularly debate office pets, take turns DJing and find time to celebrate our wins as a company.
- We offer unlimited vacation and sick time. We let you take time away from work for vacation, personal or short-term sickness, as your good judgment and workload allow.
- Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.