Supervisor, Copy (Print)
The Copy Supervisor will manage Copywriters, partner with Copy Editors, and support the Copy Manager to ensure Grainger product copy meets customer-focused quality standards and is produced efficiently. Working closely with cross-functional partners such as Merchandising and Marketing, he or she will manage designated operational workstream(s) while fostering a collaborative team environment across multiple locations. Serving as a thought leader with a continuous-improvement mindset, the Copy Supervisor will also help define standards, style, and processes. He or she will coach team members and invest in building the company’s collective capabilities in creating high-quality product copy.
Principal Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises a team, has authority to hire and performance manage the team.
- Leads/supervises, manages 6-10 employees
- Working with the Copy Manager to develop, maintain, and continuously improve operations and help inform department strategy to produce copy that meets customer needs
- Supervising and developing copywriters (monitoring and providing feedback on quality, efficiency, and ability to collaborate with others)
- Working with Copy Editors to ensure quality standards and deadlines are met
- Ensuring proper documentation of all processes (including but not limited to workflow mapping and Standard Operating Procedures), as well as all standards and style guidelines
- Evaluating quality of work produced and updating standard and style guidelines as needed
Preferred Education & Experience:
- BA/BS or equivalent preferred
- Strong people skills, ability to coach with constructive feedback, and ability to create a collaborative work environment
- Ability to manage through ambiguity
- Strong project prioritization and management skills, and ability by accurately report production and quality metrics
- Thorough understanding of customer needs, technical product information and feature-benefit copy principles
- Thorough understanding of grammar and punctuation rules
- Working knowledge of ecommerce, direct marketing, catalog, or similar industry
- Working knowledge of keyword research and basic SEO principles
- Must be able to quickly ascertain customer and business requirements to ensure correct tone, approach, etc.
- Seen as a subject matter expert
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work in deadline-driven environment and handle multiple (often conflicting) priorities at the same time
- Strong influencing skills
- Strong judgment and decision making skills
- Attention to detail without losing sight of larger department and business context
- Should have at least 10 years of editorial experience
Position can be based downtown or Lake Forest
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status.