Tech Writer, Builtin.com
Hello, we’re Built In
We are a network of online communities for technology companies and startups. We connect talent to startups, cover local tech news and host events. Headquartered in Chicago, we currently operate in seven markets: Chicago, LA, NYC, Colorado, Austin, Boston and Seattle.
By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — talent and awareness — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions.
We are looking for a Tech Writer to create targeted, in-depth, consumer-focused content for a sophisticated national audience of technology professionals. You'll work alongside members of the Growth Team to help relaunch our parent website, BuiltIn.com.
How you’ll contribute
- Writing and researching in-depth articles on leading technology industries and topics, including feature pieces and interviews with thought leaders.
- Creating detailed resource guides on technical subjects, such as programming languages and frameworks. Some example articles you might write: “Neural Networks and Deep Learning: A Developer’s Guide” or “Python for Data Science: 10 Libraries and How They Work.”
- Building and maintaining a regular content publishing schedule.
- Occasional editing.
What you need
- 2+ years professional writing experience for a print or online publication.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include 2-3 writing samples when applying — at least one example should be the explanation of a technical or highly complex topic in layman’s terms)
- Deep interest in both the technical side of tech and the trends/industries of the future
- Ability to think both holistically and analytically about your work. We are a goals-focused department and data informs our decisions, but data without context is useless. To use data effectively, we rely on team members to bring to the table a fundamental understanding of both their work and how it fits into the big picture.
- Experience interviewing over the phone and via email.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Interest in SEO is a plus. This is a great chance for someone with an interest in the space to grow and learn through hands-on training.
- General knowledge of SEMRush, Moz, Google Analytics a plus.
- Degree in humanities, such as literature or history, a plus.
What we value
- Communication — You should have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to establish credibility and trust. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must.
- Interest in and knowledge of the digital industry — You must be passionate about three things: (1) technology (2) building innovative digital products and services; and (3) helping companies grow. This is what we do.
- Getting the job done — You may need to work some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
- Culture add — We treat each other and all members vital to the community with respect. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education — We value intelligence, personality, experience and overall fit over a degree.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.