Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston and Seattle.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We’re looking for a Tech Writer
We are looking for a Tech Writer to create targeted, in-depth, consumer-focused content for a sophisticated national audience of technology professionals. You'll work alongside members of the Growth Team to help relaunch our parent website, BuiltIn.com.
How you’ll contribute
- Writing and researching in-depth articles on leading technology industries and topics, including feature pieces and interviews with thought leaders.
- Creating detailed resource guides on technical subjects, such as programming languages and frameworks. Some example articles you might write: “Neural Networks and Deep Learning: A Developer’s Guide” or “Python for Data Science: 10 Libraries and How They Work.”
- Building and maintaining a regular content publishing schedule.
- Occasional editing.
What you need
- 2+ years professional writing experience for a print or online publication.
- Excellent writing and editing skills (please include 2-3 writing samples when applying — at least one example should be the explanation of a technical or highly complex topic in layman’s terms)
- Deep interest in both the technical side of tech and the trends/industries of the future
- Ability to think both holistically and analytically about your work. We are a goals-focused department and data informs our decisions, but data without context is useless. To use data effectively, we rely on team members to bring to the table a fundamental understanding of both their work and how it fits into the big picture.
- Experience interviewing over the phone and via email.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Interest in SEO is a plus. This is a great chance for someone with an interest in the space to grow and learn through hands-on training.
- General knowledge of SEMRush, Moz, Google Analytics a plus.
- Degree in humanities, such as literature or history, a plus.
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law