Technical Writer at Relativity
- Produce accurate, engaging, user-focused product documentation.
- Adhere to Relativity documentation styles, guidelines, policies, and procedures; assist in maintaining the style guide and glossary and evaluate and recommend revisions to existing technical writing standards and guidelines.
- Establish relationships, communicate and collaborate with other teams such as Product Management, Engineering, Support, and other Subject Matter Experts to plan, research, create, validate and revise product documentation.
- Understand customer perspective and feedback to help inform general product enhancement and feature design decisions. Follow best practices for interacting with Relativity customers and innovate on these where possible, including how to receive, respond to, and assign customer-submitted feedback. Build general understanding of product KPIs by monitoring product metric dashboards in order to identify trends, client needs, product success, and missing metrics to provide to senior team members.
- In collaboration with senior team members, develop solution hypotheses to solve low-to-medium complexity problems and apply agile product design methodologies to test solution hypotheses for customer value, usability, and technical feasibility.
- Learn how to resolve issues (including issues regarding use of tools as well as content research and development), enlisting expertise within the team and other teams where needed. Know where to find and how to use resources for the team’s common problem resolutions, including which team members to ask for assistance for specific issues. Identify problems and proactively communicate these to the appropriate leader or team.
- Understand the typical use cases and user value of Relativity products as it applies to assigned areas of expertise and pursue learning opportunities to improve understanding of these use cases. Identify the appropriate format, structure and content for documentation to support those users and use cases.
- Develop a working understanding and effectively leverage current tools (such as Jira, SalesForce, Asana, Flare) to perform basic functions relevant to the role. Understand the interactions, dependencies and workflows of tools used by the documentation team to complete tasks in the most efficient manner. Identify and leverage opportunities to streamline manual workflows through existing tools and technical solutions.
- Contribute to the team’s efforts for improving internal processes, follow best practices for troubleshooting the tools used to publish content, and innovate on those practices where possible.
- Contribute to the team’s ability to adapt to Relativity’s product release methodology and process changes; propose ideas for how the team can best adapt to process changes.
- Manage or contribute to ad-hoc projects assigned by documentation team leaders.
- Advise and assist associate technical writers in the research, design, and production of product documentation.
- As workload permits, assist in addressing backlog and technical debt projects for the product documentation team.
- Minimum 3yrs writing complex product documentation for web-based software
- Advanced technical writing, content production, and technical editing skills
- Contribution to multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing work based on company and team
- Experience working in a technology organization that utilized agile development methodologies, with frequent product releases
- Advanced communication and teamwork skills
- Experience integrating user stories, use cases and functional data into user documentation and examples
- Intermediate knowledge of MadCap Flare
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment with evolving project requirements and priorities
- Attention to detail with a creative eye
- Ability to efficiently and thoroughly address feedback on published content from both customers and Relativity employees
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, drive projects to completion and meet deadlines.
- 1yr writing complex product documentation for web-based software
- Basic HTML, CSS, and XML knowledge
- Customer focus and empathy
- Able to work effectively in a collaborative, remote team environment
- Exposure to documentation publishing software such as MadCap, RoboHelp, Wiki-based, markdown, DocFx)
- Exposure to technical communication programs