As a UX Writer at Root, you’ll collaborate with product designers, product marketing, product managers and engineers to craft and deliver simple and intuitive experiences to our customers. You’ll use language and apply voice and tone to find ways to help customers discover, understand and join Root. Content Design is a new discipline within the Product Design org and you’ll be a key contributor to shaping what it means and how it functions at Root.
You are a thoughtful generalist.
You design from start to finish. This means working with your product design and product management partners to define problems, understand and iterate on possible solutions, and create solutions. You’re comfortable working closely with engineering throughout development to ensure the final product works as you intended and looks as good in the hands of the people using it as it did on your screen.
You solve customer problems that deliver business value.
You internalize business objectives and ship products and experiences that reach them. You understand how to focus on a core hypothesis and don’t get distracted by features that detract from that goal.
You have strong opinions, weakly held.
You express your opinions passionately but are open to changing those opinions in the face of new data. You challenge your colleagues to consider alternative viewpoints and advocate for the customer every step of the way. You focus on finding a shared vision and strategic alignment with your partners and strive for continual progress.
What you'll do.
- Apply human-centered design methodologies to provide both strategic product direction and hands-on copywriting for product teams
- Translate Customer Problems into high-level solutions, workflows and interactions
- Work as a partner with product designers and product managers to develop hypotheses and test plans that solve customer problems
- Develop scalable language frameworks and coach teammates to upskill the team's overall writing skillset
- Work deeply on 1-2 projects at a time, providing concepting, content strategy, and writing from early ideation through final execution
- Write compelling, user-friendly copy that guides the user and embodies the voice of the brand
- Write in-app (UI) copy like onboarding screens, end-to-end flows, error messages, buttons, and tooltips
- Process the results of A/B tests and user research to iterate on copy
- Partner with Design and Brand to evolve Root's guidelines and standards
What we're looking for.
- You have 5+ years of experience in product/UX writing, content design, and/or content strategy that demonstrates positive impact to the end user and business
- A customer champion and practitioner of human-centered design methodologies with a deep understanding of digital product development.
- Proficiency in Figma, Sketch, or equivalent design tools.
- Experience creating and applying style guides and related artifacts to help others write successfully
- You can switch between the macro: big picture thinking of business and customer needs, and the micro: the specific moments of an experience and how it impacts what people do and feel.
- Ability to collaborate with partners in marketing, product management, and engineering through the whole product lifecycle
- Strong communication and negotiation skills
- High attention to detail; comfortable independently multitasking and prioritizing projects in a fast-paced work environment.
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.