Writer (3 month contract)
Hello, we’re Built In
We are a network of online communities for technology companies and startups. We connect talent to startups, cover local tech news and host events. Headquartered in Chicago, we currently operate in seven markets: Chicago, LA, NYC, Colorado, Austin, Boston and Seattle.
By working at Built In, you’ll have the chance to work directly with the latest and fastest-growing technology companies all around the country. We help other companies solve their biggest pain points — talent and awareness — with our employer branding and recruitment solutions.
This will be a 3-month contract role local in Chicago, but covering our Austin market.
How you’ll contribute
As a writer (contract), you will be joining our creative team, which is composed of writers, editors, designers, strategists and UX experts collaborating each day to develop high-quality content in support of the tech and startup community. We are looking for someone who is a startup lovin’, analytical, tech-crazy writer with a fresh voice and style. The writer in this position will cover the Chicago tech community out of our River North headquarters.
Content Creation and Curation
Pitch and write at least 7-10 tech-focused stories per week to cover the Austin market for three months. Built In covers: breaking news stories (startup fundings, exits, etc.), company profile pieces, evergreen employer branded content such as leadership or team profiles, and data-based trend stories. You’ll be responsible for sourcing your own stories, conducting interviews and performing supplemental research. Most of our stories are between 400 to 800 words, but some of our in-depth pieces can run longer. You may also be responsible for distributing articles through organic social media.
Create and quickly produce error-free articles multiple times each day, five days per week.
You will be responsible for collaborating with the Built In creative/content team to stay on top of the latest tech news and sift through tech reports each day; conducting in-depth research for both quick turnaround and long-term features; identifying content relevant to Built In’s hyper-local audiences and producing original content through analysis or synthesis of existing stories; finding and articulating underlying stories in Built In’s own data reports and in other published tech reports; and occasionally attending tech and startup events to source the untold stories. You will learn how to navigate the local tech scene and select the best people to interview for stories.
What you need
- You should be enthusiastic about startups and tech companies.
- You should be an experienced writer, capable of producing both breaking news articles, as well as strategic pieces designed to drive conversions or support company brands.
- You should be a digital native, capable of managing social media channels to drive organic growth and support the tech community.
- Previous experience writing for a tech publication preferred.
- You should be available to work at least 30 hours/ week
What we value
- Communication - You should have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to establish credibility and trust. Honesty, transparency, and thoughtfulness are a must.
- Interest in and knowledge of the digital industry - You must be passionate about three things: (1) technology (2) building innovative digital products and services; and (3) helping companies grow. This is what we do.
- Getting the job done – You may need to work some evenings and weekends, and responding to customers outside of work hours. If you are passionate about the company and what you are creating, this will not appear as a job but yet a combination of life and work.
- Culture add – We treat each other and all members vital to the community with respect. Humility, selflessness and strong work ethic are requirements.
- Education - We value intelligence, personality, experience and overall fit over a degree.
Built In is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.