AFTERMARKET DATA ANALYST, CAT DIGITAL at Caterpillar
In Aftermarket Analytics, we support services growth by leveraging a data-driven understanding of dealer and customer services behaviors.
The team’s core project – Lens – is a data-driven approach which translates dealer-to-customer aftermarket invoices data (lists of parts) into the actual component and repair which was performed, as well as the most likely piece of equipment which benefited from the repair. This helps to better understand and leverage service (repair/maintenance) customer and dealer behaviors.
The value of this project is determined by its coverage (components and repairs), its quality (accuracy and confidence) and as importantly by its alignment to the services growth agenda. That implies managing a complex network of stakeholders from product groups, component groups, services development teams, distribution (service operations) to sales execution teams and dealerships.
As Aftermarket Data Analyst, your key priority will be to work under the direction of a more senior data scientist and/or project leader to deliver insights, performing analysis/visualization to generate new insights from Lens, investigating and troubleshooting limitations or bugs and determining/executing the appropriate actions with data scientists.
The key role of this second level analyst position is to move from learning and assisting others to learning to contribute independently. The Information Scientist II is expected to be familiar with the company’s processes, products, and organization. Work is typically directed by a project or team lead who might review both methods and results. Decisions on routine, limited risk issues that may affect the project team, suppliers or internal customers may be made by this position. Challenges include meeting expectations in delivering results, learning to consider alternative courses of actions, making timely decisions and developing communication skills.
Individuals in this position might expect to have several assignments allowing them to gain experience on multiple projects. They will be expected to apply theory and concept in contributing to the solution in the assigned area.
The job function may include data collection and analysis; development, validation, application, and refinement of statistical models; application of related digital technologies in processing both the inputs and outputs from the models. Examples of expected analytical tasks include determining “should-cost” curves in order to identify cost outliers to be targeted by material cost reduction teams or creating a visualization of the output of a “should-cost” curve in a digital technology such as Tableau.
The Information Scientist II demonstrates an expanded breadth of knowledge and the ability to handle basic issues independently. The incumbent demonstrates very good communication skills; above average planning and organization, teamwork, and decision-making skills; a strong concern for customers; and has basic knowledge of Caterpillar Inc., and its products and services.
Key Responsibilities include and may not be limited to:
- Collaborate with business segments to expand Lens’ scope and create value through existing Lens data
- Segment customers and analyze equipment lifecycles
- Provide application support in resolving and troubleshooting problems
- Data exploration & visualization to support data scientists and data engineers
- Typically requires an accredited 4-year degree, preferably in statistics, economics, mathematics, or a similar field with quantitative coursework and 1-2 years of experience, or a Master’s degree in an associated field.
- Must have ability to communicate effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well as with customers. Must be comfortable working with SQL and Data Visualization.
Top Candidates will have:
- +2 years as a data/business analyst
- Organized, fast learner, curious and proactive
- Ability to work with technical & non-technical stakeholders with the ability to take & deliver Analysis & Insight
- Strong analytical skills: ability to interpret data to solve business issues & vulgarize results for a large and diverse audience
- SQL knowledge: Intermediate
- Data visualization: Intermediate (Tableau visualization)
- Basic understanding of mechanical engineering / machine and engine components and repairs
- Interest in large machinery and basic knowledge of mechanical parts and telematics
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S. which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here.