Application Architect (Advanced Analytics)
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
*** THIS POSITION WILL BE BASED IN OUR HEADQUARTERS IN RIVERWOODS ILLINOIS WITH THE FLEXIBILITY OF WORKING FROM OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO OFFICE ***
In this role, you will use your experience and hands on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that delivers the latest streaming & next generation data technologies.
- Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies.
- Work closely with clients and BT team members to understand the departmental stakeholder requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions will be aligned with Discover and BT strategies and compliant with DFSs architectural standards.
- Establishes and leads technology strategy and technology roadmaps that enable the business.
- Partners with Product Owners to align the roadmap with the technical design and strategy.
- Designs and develops IT architecture (frameworks, software/applications, data, information, and technology).
- Designs and prototypes cloud deployed and DevOps enabled scalable solutions to business problems in alignment with the architecture direction and standards.
- Creates cloud deployment architecture and cloud integration solutions.
- Provides consultation on leveraging new and existing software and technology as well as evaluate open source software.
- Recommends and drives innovative solutions, which anticipates the future direction of the business, its drivers and technology strategy.
- Overall responsibility for product architecture and design.
- Reviews and ensures major architectural designs are consistent, maintainable, flexible and cost-effective solutions.
- Develops strategies and architectures which support advanced security topics such as Vulnerability Lifecycle Management, Identity Management, Intrusion Detection, Authentication, Authorization and Auditing.
- Responsible for prototyping complex, cross platform business solutions to validate newer technologies.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
- 8 + years architecture experience in applications development in a complex, multi-platform distributed environment.
- Good knowledge of and hands-on development experience with cloud security, including identity federation, SAML2, JWT,Centrify, LDAP.
- Experience with public cloud; AWS.
- Extensive knowledge of all product and system components of technical architecture.
- Strong hands on development skills to prototype technical solutions.
- Strong desire to drive change, and ability to adapt to change quickly. 3 + years experience in architecting cloud solutions
- 2 + years Linux/Unix experience including basic commands, shell scripting and solution engineering
- Experience using Docker, CI/CD pipelines (Git, Jenkins, Nexus) and build automation tools like Gradle.
- Experience with design and implementation of REST API-based micro-services (Swagger and similar frameworks)
- 1+ year Analytics focused programming language (Python, R, Scala, SAS).
- 1+ year experience engineering or supporting solutions within the AWS ecosystem
- Strong ANSI SQL experience
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience with solving problems and delivering high quality results in a fast-paced environment
- require a high level of technical expertise, combined with excellent planning, coordination and communication skills, and the ability to work on teams
- practitioners must have experience with relevant development tools and specific application and system architecture, in addition to a strong understanding of object-oriented /functional design
- Expertise in the design, development and deployment of enterprise-level N-tier architecture in cloud
- Familiarity with Spark for data mining and analytics
- Experience managing code on Github
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools or underlying algorithms
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.