At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future, but a totally remote option is negotiable for this role.What we are looking for
We are seeking an Applied Data Science Lead to join our political data science team. This team will build out data and analytics solutions for Democratic and progressive advocacy organizations, and the Applied Data Science Lead will play a principal role leading the team.
ADS Leads play a pivotal role in powering Civis’ growth. ADS Leads manage, supervise, and mentor a team of Data Scientists to deliver solutions and strategic guidance to progressive organizations. ADS Leads work closely with teams across the company, including social science, engineering, product, legal, finance, and sales. They will manage cross-functional teams to advise, oversee, and communicate their work internally and externally. They lead projects from scoping to delivery, work directly with clients to communicate guidance and implement solutions, and identify new opportunities in political analytics.
While this is a politically-focused role, individuals have succeeded in this role with a range of backgrounds outside of direct campaign experience, including consulting experience in a non-political role. Members of our team have educational backgrounds in physics, political science, philosophy, and more.Responsibilities
- Manage and lead a team of data scientists, as well as cross-functional client delivery teams, to provide consulting services that meet our client’s policy and delivery goals through the use of Civis’ services and technology
- Partner with technical, product and sales teams to establish a strategy that accomplishes a client's strategic goals
- Design the scope and analytics proof of concepts for clients, while helping set the vision for continued partnership
- Grow Civis' business by delivering excellent work, identifying new strategic growth opportunities for the company, and developing expertise and credibility in public sector data science
- Manage the relationship with clients and client-facing communication. Communicates all facets of the work with clients of varying technical experience or familiarity with our methods, and ensure that all deliverables provide substantive value to clients, adhere to our standards, and further our mission
- Manage a team through the process of defining the client’s problem, designing a solution, and delivering high-quality work
- Lead the research design of their projects, including statistical and data management methods, soliciting input from subject matter experts when needed
- Some limited travel required (typically <10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject or equivalent experience with data and analytics, which can include skills developed in a past job, on a political campaign, or through self-driven learning
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under time restrictions
- Demonstrated history of delivering high-quality analytic work to decision makers
- Demonstrated passion for progressive causes, political data, and/or campaigns
- Experience managing teams to complete projects within scope and on time
- Able to communicate effectively about statistics, survey research, and/or predictive modeling, in addition to providing leadership and support to junior staff
- Calm demeanor and eagerness to work in a cross-functional environment where methodology and client needs shift over time
- Proficiency in SQL and/or statistical packages (R, Python, STATA, etc)
- Experience managing a team of technical staff
- A cycle or more of electoral campaign experience
- Experience working for a consulting, services, or advisory firm
- Experience working with a diverse team, fostering an inclusive workplace, and bringing a sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences
- Experience presenting completed work or pitching new work to high-level or executive audiences
- Experience writing proposals, building cost and pricing estimates of proposed work, and selling the work to new or existing clients
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO; 401K match with immediate vesting; health, dental, and vision benefits; fully paid parental leave; breastfeeding support, including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms; commuter benefits; wellness initiatives, including weekly group meditations; monthly on-site massage therapy; and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now-fully remote work environment, we have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (five-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-ups where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from-home-schedules to help employees juggle their domestic responsibilities.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW