Applied Data Scientist, Operations Research
Are you a self-starter? Do you want to work where you can make an immediate impact? Are you interested in using data science to solve big and important problems in new ways — like helping a green energy startup find new areas of growth, figuring out how to increase participation in vital social services, or completely changing the way that large brands engage with consumers? Civis Analytics is looking for an Applied Data Scientist, Operations Research to join our team!
Civis Analytics was born on the campaign trail, with CEO Dan Wagner and our founding members spearheading the 2012 Obama for America analytics team. Since then, our DC and Chicago teams have been building software and growing rapidly among a steadily developing client base in education, energy, government, healthcare, media, nonprofits, and politics. It’s our mission to empower organizations to find truth and guide actions that will change their world for the better.
Civis works with companies across an array of industries including media, telecom, finance, healthcare, and technology. We focus on helping our clients understand their customers, their business, and develop tools that integrate directly with their decision-making framework. As an Applied Data Scientist working with Civis’ commercial clients, you will be part of a team asked to solve some of the most challenging and interesting questions facing businesses today.
- Work with colleagues to structure complex client problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Enhance, find patterns in, and build predictive models on large data sets
- Maintain a continuous and independent education on cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Develop and adhere to a quality control process
- Work with Senior Applied Data Scientists and Applied Data Science Managers to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with Senior Applied Data Scientists and Applied Data Science Managers to create presentations that are client-ready, clear, and correct
- Regularly participate in our Civis community by sharing findings and valuable lessons learned from engagements
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (operations research, applied math, statistics, economics, computer science, industrial engineering, system engineering, etc.)
- Proven affinity for and experience with formulating and solving business problems in an optimization framework
- Familiarity with standard types of optimization problems (e.g., linear programming, convex optimization, integer programming)
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python, etc.
- Experience working with presentation software, such as MS PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to complete work on time
- Demonstrated ability to learn new methods and skills as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven MS Excel skills are a plus
- Experience with optimization software such as CPLEX, Gurobi, AMPL, Excel Solver, and/or open-source solvers
- Experience with database querying languages such as SQL
- Experience working with presentation software, such as Tableau is a plus
- Experience with reinforcement learning is a plus