Applied Data Scientist, Political at Civis Analytics
Here’s what we’re looking for:
Civis Analytics is looking for Applied Data Scientists to join its DC-based political team.
This team will build the next generation of data science for Democratic and progressive organizations, and Applied Data Scientists will play the principal leadership role on the team.
Civis’ objective this year and next is simple: we want every political client organization to be data-driven and digital first. Here’s how you’d help:
First, the Civis platform is the technology of record for hundreds of in-house data scientists and analysts across the progressive movement. We seek to extend the feature set and capabilities to help these users quickly and self-reliantly accomplish their missions through data.
Second, Civis is building new digital technologies to help campaigns make the transition to digital outreach. It’s 2019 after all. We’re building the measurement, execution, and attribution tools to help these campaigns measure, target, and spend their dollars effectively and transparently through digital tools.
About the Role
The political Applied Data Science (ADS) Team works closely with candidates, independent political organizations, and advocacy groups to provide strategic insights about elections up and down the ballot. ADS is our client-facing advisory arm. Members of the ADS team work collaboratively with social scientists and survey methodologists, software engineers, and solution delivery specialists to create and deliver scalable solutions to clients’ needs.
As a Applied Data Scientist in our Chicago or DC office, you will structure hard problems, analyze large data sets, build predictive models, collaborate in cross-functional teams, create client materials, and ensure on-time progress and delivery of our projects. This role reports to an Applied Data Science Lead.
Tasks you might encounter in a typical week include:
- Drafting a set of visualizations that explain the state of a competitive primary
- Analyzing the results of a web-based survey and assembling a first draft of a memo outlining key findings
- Setting up an automated pipeline that identifies anomalies in a changing dataset
- Using predictive models to describe voters in an upcoming election
- Working with a client to interpret and explain the results of an analysis
While this is a politically-focused role, individuals have succeeded in this role with a range of backgrounds outside of direct campaign experience, including consulting experience in a non-political role. Members of our team have educational backgrounds in physics, political science, philosophy, and more.
- Work with colleagues to structure complex client problems to be solved using imperfect data
- Enhance, find patterns in, and build predictive models on large data sets
- Produce data visualizations and presentations that communicate technical information to multiple audiences
- Document processes and decisions, and recommend potential quality control improvements
- Work with Applied Data Scientist Leads to derive clear, actionable, and timely insights from analyses
- Work with Applied Data Scientist Leads to create presentations that are client-ready, clear, and correct
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to tackle difficult analytical problems, break them down into component parts, and work independently or collaboratively with others to solve them
- Experience using programming languages, including at least one of Python or R, and a willingness to develop these skills on the job
- Comfort using data to answer questions and communicate those conclusions to others
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject or equivalent experience with data and analytics, which can include skills developed in a past job, on a political campaign, or through self-driven learning
- US work authorization
- Comfort using very large data sets to answer questions and communicate those conclusions to others
- Demonstrated ability to work under time restrictions
- Experience working with presentation and data visualization tools, such as ggplot, Tableau, and MS PowerPoint
Compensation for this role ranges from $60,000 - $105,000 based on experience.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW