Applied Data Scientist
What We Do
Uptake helps industrial companies digitally transform with open, purpose-built software that delivers outcomes that matter. Built on a foundation of data science and machine learning, our vision is to create a world that always works — one where the machines and equipment we depend on daily don’t break, and industrial companies are once again the creators of economic growth and opportunity.
What You'll Do:
As an Applied Data Scientist, you will be responsible for interfacing with our customers, understanding their pain points & desired business outcomes, evaluating their data to address valuable use cases that solve their pain points. In addition, you will be responsible for building data science models in an iterative fashion to support such use cases & validating results & business outcomes with the customer. During the course of your project, you will closely collaborate with a cross-functional team comprising of but not limited to the internal delivery & implementation teams, Platform data science team, internal & external subject matter experts and sales and industry leads. Along the way, you will leverage our internal Data Science tools, Uptake Platform features and other open source technologies, where needed. You will be working with a global customer-base with the ability to travel to customer locations as needed.
What We Are Looking For
- Strong quantitative background, preferred in fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics
- 4+ years of data science related experience in customer-facing engagements
- Experienced in applying machine learning & statistical analysis to solve enterprise business problems.
- Proficient in R, Python, SQL
- Excellent communications skill to be able to communicate complex analysis to technical & non-technical audience
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 50% to be on-site with the customer
Nice To Have
- Background in industrial fields such as Engineering, Operations Research
- Experience in applying data-driven techniques in the industrial sector such as Energy, Transportation & Logistics, Manufacturing etc.
- Familiar with Apache Spark, TensorFlow, cloud-native Machine Learning packages, version control tools like Git.
- Team leadership experience
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.