Arity - Cassandra Administrator
Arity is a technology company founded by The Allstate Corporation focused on making transportation safer, smarter and more useful for everyone. We collect and analyze massive amounts of data to help our partners better predict risk and understand how people move. The Arity Platform is built on billions of miles of historical driving data with more than one million active telematics connections and 10+ years of data directly from cars.
The Engineering Team
Our engineers are fueled by a passion to impact the future of mobility. They push the boundaries of telematics and transportation tech by creating and supporting cutting-edge products. As part of an Agile team, they are armed with the freedom to innovate and the opportunity to see projects through from start to finish. Using a variety of languages and a top-notch technology stack, our engineers make critical advances in areas like sensor technology, enterprise engineering and platform development. Our team understands what it means to collaborate and communicate in an interconnected global team, all while having trust, transparency and empathy for the end user. Which is pretty cool, if you ask us.
As a Cassandra Database Administrator you will be responsible for assisting with the design, implementation, and on-going support of Arity's Cassandra operational data store on AWS.
- Manage large scale multi-nodes Cassandra cluster environments residing on AWS.
- Handle all Cassandra environment builds, including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, performance tuning and ongoing monitoring.
- Perform high-level, day-to-day operational maintenance, support, and upgrades for the Cassandra database.
- Creation of key performance metrics, measuring the utilization, performance and overall health of the cluster.
- Capacity planning and implementation of new/upgraded hardware and software releases as well as for storage infrastructure.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Ability to closely calibrate with product managers and lead engineers.
- Provide guidance in the creation and modification of standards and procedures
- Ensure existing data/information assets are secure and adhering to a best in class security model.
- Manage backup and recovery functions.
- Proactively monitor and setup alerting mechanism for both database and supporting hardware to ensure system health and maximum availability
- 3+ years of solid Cassandra DBA experience in managing critical 24/7 applications
- Hands-on experience with Cassandra database hosted on Amazon cloud is a must.
- Experience in Cassandra build pipelines using Anisble, Cloud formation templates, shells etc.
- Experience in Jenkins, Github
- Setup Nodes, Work on foundations, data models, etc
- Implement a Cassandra Database in an enterprise, Design and Support data migration.
- Cassandra database administration on a multi-datacenter cluster. Must have hands-on experience in setting up Cassandra cluster.
- Strong understanding of complex inner workings of Cassandra, (gossip protocol, hinted handoffs, read repairs, Merkle trees.)
- In depth knowledge of architecting and creating Cassandra/no SQL database systems.
- Expert in data structure design, modelling in Cassandra
- Solid experience in solr
- A deep understanding of Cassandra design principals, cluster connectivity, security and the factors that affect distributed system performance.
- Expert experience with at least one of the following languages; perl, python, java, spark or bash.
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and DR.
- Comfortable performing in a fast paced, dynamic and ambiguous business environment.
- Demonstrated a product mindset with an ability to set forward thinking and direction.
- Must be able to communicate technical information clearly.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of complex data into meaningful conclusions and present recommendations.
- Ability to lead a group of employees (directly or indirectly).
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree Preferred.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that's just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you'll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.