Arity- Sr Data Scientist at Arity
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
The Arity Analytics team combines technical knowledge in fields such as mathematics, computer programming, and data engineering and ETL, software development, and high-performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. We're passionate about learning new disciplines and techniques to deliver top-notch analytics products. Armed with billions of miles of driving data, we constantly challenge ourselves to seek out opportunities for new products and ways to make our existing offerings better. Our purpose is to extract meaning from data to make Arity's vision of safer, smarter and more useful transportation a reality. The Data Scientist family is accountable for using data to make decisions, which includes building predictive models and developing new machine learning techniques that enable better decision making in order to achieve goals. The Data Scientist Family requires Analytic Agility, the ability to quickly learn new modeling/machine learning techniques, programming languages, and see how these ideas can integrate to optimize the business.
This role is responsible for leading the use of data to make decisions. This includes the development and management of new machine learning predictive modeling algorithms; the coding\development of tools that use machine learning/predictive modeling to make business decisions; searching for and integrating new data (both internal and external) that improves our modeling and machine learning results (and ultimately our decisions); and discovery of solutions to business problems that can be solved through the use of machine learning/predictive modeling. As an ideal candidate, you appreciate the difference between fitting and implementing statistical models, the importance of good metrics, and the significance of large-volume high-quality data. You can perceive common structure between superficially unrelated problems, and can use this to build tools, algorithms, and products of high value. This role will also begin to manage projects of medium complexity.
- Uses best practices to develop statistical, machine learning techniques to build models that address business needs
- Manages data and data requests to improve the accuracy of our data and decisions made from data analysis
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., R, SAS, Python, Hadoop)
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team
- Works on data and business problems to drive improved business results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models
- Collaborates the with team in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions through the use of data and machine learning/predictive modeling
- Understands the business' problems to identify the optimal modeling approach
- Communicates to team members, leadership and stakeholders on findings to ensure models are well understood and incorporated into business processes
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down moderately complex projects into tasks and ensure deadlines are kept
- Works with leaders to ensure the project will meet their needs
- The development and execution of a communication strategy, with appropriate coaching, that keeps all relevant stakeholders informed and provides an opportunity to influence the direction of the work
- Reviews and evaluates on appropriateness of techniques, given current modeling practices, to senior leadership
- Leads and participates in peer reviews, code reviews and other department activities
- Degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance or related discipline
- Experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models that have driven company decision making
- Experience in managing and manipulating large, complex datasets
- Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C
- Knowledge of advanced modeling technique
- Ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Demonstrated analytic agility
Good to have
- Master's or PhD preferred in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, finance, or economics
- Experience working through end to end life cycle from data acquisition, model building through to deploying, monitoring and revising models in a production setting
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That’s more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.
Arity.com Instagram Twitter LinkedIn
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.