Associate Director of Manager Research
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets, and portfolios. The Research group also provides data on hundreds of thousands of investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on millions of equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company.
The Role: Working closely with the Director, the Associate Director is responsible for helping manage the North American Multi-Asset and Alternatives Strategies team, ensuring that it produces high-quality analysis on multi-asset and alternative strategies and broad research in those asset classes to help investors make better decisions. The team also evaluates and produces annual white papers across a large and growing range of solutions, including 529 college savings plans, health savings accounts, Mexican pension funds, model portfolios, and target-date funds, which the Associate Director helps oversee. This position is based in our Chicago office and will report to the Director of Multi-Asset and Alternatives Strategies.
• Foster a collaborative team culture that aims for and prizes high-quality research, resulting in analyses that are insightful, ratings that are good calls for investors, and broader research that helps investors understand the multi-asset and alternatives landscape.
• Manage a team of analysts, making sure that they have a clear understanding of their coverage, research and other responsibilities, and are able to execute at a high level.
• Contribute to training and development of new analysts on the team.
• Ensure that Analysts are fully prepared to best represent themselves to institutional clients.
• Coordinate with the Practice lead and Director to ensure clear employee KPIs in line with business goals
• Together with the Director and the coverage committee, participate in coverage decisions.
• Work alongside the Director and senior members of the team to set the group’s annual thought leadership agenda.
• Instill an ethos of continuous improvement regarding analysis, research, methodology, products, team organization and collaboration.
• Engage with the external market (media, wealth managers, regulators) to strengthen perceptions of Morningstar capabilities.
• Increase ties with Morningstar Investment Management (IM) and push specialization to deepen subject-matter expertise.
• Bachelor’s degree; an MBA, CFA or other advanced degree/accreditation a plus.
• Seven to 10 years' experience in manager research or a related role.
• Demonstrated expertise in strategy level, or fund, analysis and thought leadership.
• Proven effective people management and team building skills.
• Excellent communications skills.
• Strong time management skills.
Please submit a resume AND cover letter. Applications without both items will not be considered.