Associate Quantitative Analyst – Quality & Operations
The Group: The Product Capabilities group is a product development organization that provides software platforms, services, and components fueling Morningstar’s product portfolio across client segments. This diverse set of teams develop software for truly differentiated capabilities, including robo-advice engines, research software, portfolio software, and investment reports. This group is also responsible for Morningstar’s web-based “Cloud” and native-app “Mobile” platforms. Nearly every Morningstar product leverages something from the capability teams, whether as a building block or an entire application. We build software users love, at scale.
The Role: Morningstar’s Advice Engines team helps investors reach their goals by incorporating proprietary research and methodology into sophisticated analytical engines that power internal and external applications. The team is seeking a quantitative analyst to bring a unique perspective to quality assurance and operational workflow management. In this role, you will work alongside research, product management, development, and quality assurance teams to gain in-depth understanding of complex financial planning and investment management methodologies and implementation. Combining analytical skills with product knowledge and operational expertise, you will take ownership of applying innovative testing strategies to ensure application quality. In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop into a product specialist involved in all phases of product life cycle.
• Develop in-depth understanding of Advice Engines methodologies, operations, and implementations (including Wealth Forecasting Engine, Automated Portfolio Construction, etc.)
• Develop innovative test strategies and tools for multidimensional problem space
• Develop, execute, and maintain regression and impact analysis test suites
• Lead the execution of product maintenance activities
• Participate in functional, performance, and automated testing activities
• Develop the ability to serve as a conduit between product, research, technology, and external clients
• Use data driven decisions to develop and test hypotheses to guide next steps in product development, testing, and client support
• Function as an integrated and engaged member of scrum team
• Bachelor`s degree in information technology, mathematics, engineering, or similar field
• Demonstrated skill in at least one scripting language such as Python, Ruby, R, etc.
• Some knowledge and willingness to learn more advanced models (e.g. optimization, Monte Carlo simulations, etc.)
• Familiarity with Agile development framework and experience working as a member of a scrum team
• Ability to implement basic hypothesis testing
• Strong attention to detail, excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills
• Knowledge of web technology and XML and proficiency with Microsoft Office
• Ability to multi-task and manage several projects at any given time
• Knowledge of established QA practices and the software development lifecycle
• Demonstrated skill in at least one statistical package, fluency with quantitative techniques, and familiarity with SQL, and a demonstrated ability to extract data from any relational database