Big Data Engineer at Arity
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone.
At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation.
That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.
Data Science incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should be an expert/fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end predictive analytics products to optimize future decisions. Individual demonstrates sufficient analytic agility to quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as those disciplines evolve. The Big Data Engineer job family is accountable for end to end engineering of data solutions which includes designing and building systems for data storage and analytics that enable Allstate analysts to make better decisions to achieve Allstate’s goals.
This role is responsible for driving multiple complex tracks of work to deliver Big Data solutions enabling advanced data science and analytics. This includes working with the team on new Big Data systems for analyzing data; the coding & development of advanced analytics solutions to make/optimize business decisions and processes; integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics; and discovery of new technical challenges that can be solved with existing and emerging Big Data hardware and software solutions.
This role contributes to the structured and unstructured Big Data / Data Science tools of Allstate from traditional to emerging analytics technologies and methods. The role is responsible for assisting in the selection and development of other team members.
- Executes complex functional work tracks for the team.
- Partners with ATSV teams on Big Data efforts.
- Partners closely with team members on Big Data solutions for our data science community and analytic users.
- Leverages and uses Big Data best practices / lessons learned to develop technical solutions used for descriptive analytics, ETL, predictive modeling, and prescriptive “real time decisions” analytics
- Influence within the team on the effectiveness of Big Data systems to solve their business problems.
- Participates in the development of complex technical solutions using Big Data techniques in data & analytics processes.
- Supports Innovation; regularly provides new ideas to help people, process, and technology that interact with analytic ecosystem.
- Participates in the development of complex prototypes and department applications that integrate Big Data and advanced analytics to make business decisions.
- Uses new areas of Big Data technologies, (ingestion, processing, distribution) and research delivery methods that can solve business problems.
- Understands the Big Data related problems and requirements to identify the correct technical approach.
- Works with key team members to ensure efforts within owned tracks of work will meet their needs.
- Drives multiple tracks of work within the research group.
- Identifies and develops Big Data sources & techniques to solve business problems.
- Co-mingles data sources to lead work on data and problems across departments to drive improved business & technical results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models.
- Manages various Big Data analytic tool development projects with midsize teams.
- Executes on Big Data requests to improve the accuracy, quality, completeness, speed of data, and decisions made from Big Data analysis.
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of Big Data and Data Science tools to achieve results (i.e., R, ETL Tools, Hadoop, and others).
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of programming languages on Big Data and Data Science work (i.e. Java, C#, Python, and Perl).
- Trains more junior engineers.
- 3 - 4 Years of experience or equivalent skills & ability
- Master’s or PhD preferred in a quantitative or scientific field such as computer science, computer engineering or equivocal experience.
- Experience in using software development to drive data science & analytic efforts.
- Experience with database & ETL technologies.
- Experience with various data types (e.g. Relational, Unstructured, Hierarchical, and Linked “Graph” Data).
- Experience in developing, managing, and manipulating large, complex datasets.
- Experience in working with statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, R, CART, etc.
- Proven ability to code and develop prototypes in languages such as Python, Perl, Java, C, R, SQL, and XSLT.
- Ability to communicate and present advanced technical topics to general audiences.
- Understanding of predictive modeling techniques a plus.
Heads up: when you click “apply now” you’ll be directed to the Allstate careers site. You’re still looking at an Arity job, but because we were founded by Allstate, we share the same application system.