Big Data Software Engineer
We are looking for an experienced software developer to create services and applications that will change the mortgage industry completely!
The Financial technology space "Fintech" is booming and Guaranteed Rate is at the center of it. We are growing like crazy, and are one of the most successful Chicago startups. We are focused on automating the mortgage process for consumers. Imagine getting a mortgage with no email, no faxing, no stack of papers in 10 days or less instead of 40 or more! If you have been through the process of buying a home you know how amazing this will be. We are the #8 lender in the country and one of only 2 that is independent (not a bank) so we are in a good spot to win this race. We have already made tremendous strides and we are looking for someone who wants to help us finish the job and disrupt the entire industry.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
- Oh and did we mention you get a big fat employee discount on the origination fees to get a new mortgage or refinance thru Guaranteed Rate?
So what do we want from you?
We’re searching for highly collaborative, analytical, and innovative engineers to build and scale our big data and ML platform. If you are passionate about using data to solve problems and build game changing products, we’d love to work with you.
Working within a dynamic and fast paced team environment, the Senior Engineer is responsible for the design, construction, and maintenance of mission-critical, highly visible big data and machine learning applications in direct support of business objectives. Furthermore, this person is responsible for working with other engineers to develop the technical design by fully understanding the technical details, integration, and functions of multiple applications across their development team. The ideal candidate should have good mentoring and cross-functional skills.
A few other things too
- Create and execute a technical strategy. This includes getting other engineers to follow you.
- Willingness to learn and deep dive into functional programming. Open to learning Clojure/ClojureScript alongside working in React Native.
- Minimally 50% of your time will be hands-on coding - more is better.
- In line with DevOps philosophy, fully own applications from design to operations.
- We have a teaching & learning culture, bring something to teach and be good at growing junior engineers.
- It’s a complicated industry and you need to communicate well with business stakeholders.
- Aid in improving standards and practices on your team (source control, testing, deployment, etc).
- 5+ years of experience in Programming languages such as Java or Python.
- 3+ years of experience in big data engineering.
2+ years of experience as Spark Developer.
- Experience working in Agile Methodologies
Ability to develop spark jobs to cleanse/enrich/process large amounts of data.
Ability to develop spark streaming jobs to read data from Kafka or similar event source.
Experience with tuning spark jobs for efficient performance including execution time of the job, execution memory, etc.
Good understanding of various file formats and compression techniques.
Experience with source code management systems such as GIT and developing CI/CD pipelines for data.
Ability to understand deeply the entire architecture for a major part of the business and be able to articulate the scaling and reliability limits of that area; design, develop and debug at an enterprise level and design and estimate at a cross-project level.
Ability to mentor developers and lead projects of medium to high complexity.
Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Bonus Points If You
Experience developing big data applications in the cloud, especially AWS.
Experience tuning Athena and Redshift queries.
Experience with Spark ML.
Experience with machine learning / deep learning using R, Python, Jupyter, Zeppelin,
About Guaranteed Rate…
Guaranteed Rate is the seventh largest retail mortgage lender in the United States. Headquartered in Chicago, the company has approximately 195 offices across the U.S. and is licensed in all 50 states. Since its founding in 2000, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with home purchase loans and refinances and funded nearly $23 billion in loans in 2018 alone. The company has become the Home Purchase Experts® by introducing the world's first Digital Mortgage technology and offering low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Guaranteed Rate won an American Business Award for its Digital Mortgage technology in 2016, ranked No. 1 in Scotsman Guide's Top Mortgage Lenders 2015, was chosen Top Lender 2016 by Chicago Agent magazine and made the Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces list five of the past six years. Visit rate.com for more information.