Business Analyst - Actionable Insights at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Business Analyst will be working on the “Actionable Insights” team, a client-facing executive data analytics product that highlights areas of improvement and offers actionable recommendations. This role will collaborate with product, design, engineering and other business analytics functions to identify and build this product offering. This candidate will leverage financial and operations knowledge and metrics in all areas of the business to accomplish these goals.
- Understand the financial and operational complexities of clients and internal operations of different business divisions
- Discover and satisfy the jobs-to-be-done of various users in commercial and residential client companies
- Analyze clients’ business financial and operation inefficiencies and translate them into easy to read data reports that offer actionable recommendations
- Support data governance including the implementation of repeatable processes and workflows to proactively monitor, identify, and triage data quality issues
- Collaborate with product managers, UX designers, engineering and other business analysts to translate identified trends and insights into dashboards that call for action
- Ensure protection of confidential internal and external data
- Verbal Communication - Proficient
- Written Communication- Proficient
- Teamwork - Proficient
- Analysis - Advanced
- Problem Solving - Proficient
- Relationships - Proficient
- Team Work- Proficient
- Prioritization- Proficient
- Cross-functional collaboration- Proficient
Role Specific Skills
- Computer Skills: Proficiencies in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Python required
- System Experience: Tableau, SQL, PowerBI
- Data architecture experience a plus. Working knowledge of database structures based on the data storage and retrieval needs within each department.
- Proficient project management skills with the ability to organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously from origin through execution
- Demonstrated experience in applying scrum methodologies to create and deliver customer value
- Ability to foster a positive team environment
- Skilled at affecting change through the use of persuasive arguments
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Masters Degree in Data Science a plus
- 2-5 years of experience in analytics
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, or Mathematics is preferred