Business Intelligence Engineer - Supply Analytics
Grow as a developer by building things that help local businesses around the world thrive
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfill our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a vibrant, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you're ready to be part of Groupon.
Are you a passionate, energetic and technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across our suite of technologies? Are you are a problem solver; someone who enjoys debugging code, resolving issues, and creating solutions for common problems? Do you get a little obsessed with the details?
The Supply Analytics team uses analytics and business strategy to evaluate and optimize Groupon’s supply offering.
We are looking for a proven Business Intelligence Engineer to join the Supply Analytics team. In this role, you will own and improve the data infrastructure supporting the supply reporting and analysis used by Analytics, Sales, Sales Ops, and Revenue Management. You will enhance existing and develop new KPIs to measure the health of supply in our marketplace. The ability to conceptualize and create user-friendly self-service solutions is critical to be successful in this role. Our business is evolving quickly and we need you to think long term, but deliver incrementally.
We're a "best of both worlds" kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
Our development ecosystem:
- Languages: Java, Ruby on Rails
- Node/Express JS
- Deployment to our own data centers
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will have an excellent understand of the data warehousing ecosystem (Star and snowflake schemas)
- You will model data and develop reporting solutions from scratch
- You will collaborate with teams in other organizations to ensure that required business features and compliance rules are implemented effectively
- Build service artifacts, plan deployment, coordinate timeline and tasks with project management and teams
- Improve service stability by identifying critical service specific metrics, setting meaningful alerting thresholds, and automating alerting responses
- Create and maintain documentation for your projects
- Mentor junior staff
- Drive the discussion and decisions of technical topics related to the team
We’re excited about you if you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or equivalent with substantial data warehousing and report development experience
- 3+ years of experience and knowledge with major BI reporting tools -Tableau is preferred
- Experience developing and supporting web applications and with supporting and troubleshooting internal and external requests / bug report in transactional environment
- Experience with Hadoop/HIVE or other map-reduce "big data" systems (e.g. Spark)
- Experience in at least one modern programming language (e.g. Python, Java, Ruby)
- Experience working with Predictive Analytics libraries and tools (Python:Pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, R etc.)
- Good communication and collaboration skills
We value engineers who are:
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with quality: Your production code just works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.