Competitive Intelligence Lead at West Monroe (Chicago, IL)
Ready to thrive in the next step on your career journey?
The Competitive Intelligence Lead will be focused on identifying market trends, interpreting its impact on the firm and informing future courses of action to ensure West Monroe’s long-term growth. This person should have the ability to recognize market patterns and themes relevant to the firm, assess key changes in our industry, and organize and present these to senior leadership. Competitive Intelligence is a key area of focus for this role. Going beyond just knowing our competition, this role will make tactical recommendations based on trends, acquisitions, macro, and other factors. They will be responsible for rolling up their sleeves to not only uncover insights and conduct research, but also create clear and persuasive deliverables, while collaborating across various teams and stakeholders.
The right candidate has outstanding interpersonal skills, analytical, written and verbal communication skills, particularly for Executive audiences, and is comfortable and confident providing a data-driven point of view and recommendations to Senior Leadership, while reporting into the Business & Market Intelligence Lead.
Please note that this is an internal Strategy role within Shared Services.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
- Actionable Insights Development
- Develop subject matter expertise and deliver deep thinking related to West Monroe's businesses, competitors, and the consulting industry
- Design and execute analytics programs-including open-source research, interviews with subject matter experts, and quantitative research - that supports those projects
- Support long-term planning within the organization: signals, trends, scenarios, and actions that may come of it
- Contextualize external market trends across macroeconomic, market, competitor and consulting industry into implications for the firm
- Report on key competitor insights: acquisitions, assets, financials, I&D, talent, etc
- Create regular POV documents on opportunities/threats in market for leadership to debate
- Drive market research to uncover, understand and prioritize whitespace opportunities within markets we serve and services we offer (including new innovations)
- Engage externally and be the known thought leader to external network of analysts (Gartner, Forrester, etc.) for insight gathering
- Function Development & Team Building
- Create a vision for Competitive Intelligence at West Monroe, gain leadership buy-in, identify tools, resourcing and collaborate with other intelligence owners to execute
- Support continued innovation of West Monroe’s Business & Market Intelligence program and for solutions that deliver proactive strategic insights to senior leadership
- Team Building
- Lead teams of junior practitioners to gather and analyze information and develop presentations, coaching them to superior performance
- Support others via frequent knowledge transfers, offering feedback and supporting in research guidance
- Assist and run team sessions on key areas for ideation, development and other improvements
- A minimum of 10+ years relevant experience in the market intelligence, corporate strategy or similar insights driven role
- Strong intellectual curiosity and professional skepticism; business, financial, and economic literacy; superior critical analysis
- Deep knowledge and subject matter proficiency in spotting emerging trends within the consulting market
- Ability to tell a story and provide a point of view and recommendation using data to influence leaders, primarily C-level executives
- Candidates with experience supporting strategy development strongly preferred
- Exceptional standards for quality in writing, speaking, and independent thought, and a demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the technology consulting industry
- Exceptional research skills using a variety of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Successful track record of executing market research projects from start to finish (i.e., hands on research experience)
- A high degree of autonomy, independence and executive presence; Self-directed management of multiple projects
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop relationships both internally and externally including analysts
- Bachelor’s degree in business, market research, statistics or other related field of study
- Experience working under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively work in a team environment
- Ability to travel 10-15% of the time
If you're looking for an opportunity to flex your competitive intelligence skills and influence a high-growth firm’s Strategy in a high-energy, team-oriented environment where you own your career, we'd love to hear from you.
Think you've got what it takes? Join our team and make us better.
Ready to get started? Join our team and make an impact.
At West Monroe, our people are our business.
We pride ourselves on bringing a different mindset to consulting—and that takes a different approach: highly collaborative, flexible, and tenacious.
Our people-first culture is core to our identity. It’s something we care about, and something we strive to enrich and preserve. No hierarchies. No siloes. No egos. Just smart ideas, unique perspectives, and the drive to make an impact for our clients.
We also know that the best outcomes for both our people and our clients result from including diverse perspectives at the table. That’s why inclusion & diversity is one of our core values.
Every day our clients rely on us to help them tackle their greatest challenges, by strategically deploying technology through a business-focused and industry-specific lens. We bring together both the right knowledge and the right approach, so that they can capitalize on opportunities and deliver real results. That takes the right team. And that’s where you come in.
West Monroe Partners is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
We believe in treating each employee and applicant for employment fairly and with dignity. We base our employment decisions on merit, experience, and potential, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. To learn more about inclusion and diversity at West Monroe, visit www.westmonroe.com/inclusion.
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read West Monroe’s Notice at Collection for California residents, provided pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and linked here.