We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
We are looking for a Data Analyst, Forecasting to join our Data Science Forecasting team. As part of this team, you will help build the bridge between data science models and the financial forecasting process. In this role, you will use modern quantitative methods and best practices for deploying robust production models to promote mutual understanding between teams within Root involved in our forecasting process. You will work closely with Data Scientists and members of the Finance team to understand the detailed performance of our business and contribute to our view of the future as a high-growth company, including the decisions and adjustments needed along the way.
The ideal candidate will have deep analytical and business acumen, with strong programming skills and high quantitative aptitude.
What you’ll be doing.
- Write and standardize queries for building a consistent view of the business from the data warehouse
- Derive assumptions from historical data for key unit economic variables
- Facilitate processes and tools to apply qualitative assumption adjustments and partner with business experts to develop these adjustments
- Build robust and automated calculating engines/methodologies fed by these assumptions
- Automate regular processes and visualizations to evaluate accuracy of forecasted results
- Perform deep-dive analysis to answer questions around causes of key business trends
What we’re looking for.
- 3+ years of experience in data analytics
- Strong programming skills in Python (preferred) or R
- Advanced skills in SQL with the ability to write complex and optimized queries
- Familiarity with complex financial models in Excel
- Analytical mindset, with strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.