Data Analyst at Morningstar
Morningstar's Research Group provides independent analysis on individual securities, funds, markets and portfolios. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors' interests is the foundation of our company.
Morningstar Fixed Income Team provides expertise in bonds and derivatives - the data, the analytics, the use cases for target clients. It defines the Fixed Income capability roadmap, develops fixed income methodology, identifies data vendor, produces value-added data, and coordinates across product squads to build new and enhance fixed income functionality.
Fixed Income Data & Analytics Team, working closely with the Fixed Income Data Operations and Data Technology team, as well as many other data teams, develops fixed income data methodologies, fixed income IP and works collaboratively with Morningstar product teams to enhance their fixed income information content and capabilities. Morningstar fixed income data and analytic information supports investor decisions and encompasses a wide variety of datasets including, descriptive data, price and calculated analytics, credit ratings, classifications and are applicable at security, portfolio and market levels to provide a comprehensive view of fixed income risk and return measures.
Fixed Income Data & Analytics Team seeks an enthusiastic, results-driven fixed income data analyst to work on fixed income data and content. The Data Analyst works with other methodology analysts, data analysts, data content researchers, data developers, and product support specialists to ensure distribution of accurate, reliable, and timely data to clients through Morningstar products. This individual will engage in a wide variety of tasks including methodology research, data sourcing, data template design and implementation, development of specifications and model validation. Domain knowledge of fixed income is a favorable attribute for candidates. We prefer for this position to be located in Chicago but will consider employees located in any Morningstar office location in North America.
Data Analysis and Methodology Development
- Vendor data feed content research for data quality- completeness, accuracy, timeliness.
- Methodology specification creation for fixed income development team.
- Conduct impact analysis for new methodology implementation and communicate findings to support and product teams.
- Work with Morningstar product teams to implement new fixed income data and analytic content.
- Generate and present reports on relevant areas such as coverage and quality of fixed income data and analytics.
- Research and gather data on how clients use Morningstar fixed income data and analytics so our solutions are properly aligned.
- Respond to client questions regarding both quality and meaning of data and analytics in products (e.g. client based Jira tickets)
- Investigate data content questions and handle escalated data content questions from product support team.
- Escalate analytic and data processing issues to the fixed income development team.
- A bachelors degree, with an exceptional academic record in economics, mathematics, finance or a related field.
- Able to analyze data using proprietary data management tools and SQL query language.
- Knowledge of investing and financial markets, knowledge of fixed income data strong plus
- Knowledge of SQL query language, experience with relational databases strong plus
- Experience with the Microsoft Excel or equivalent spreadsheet tools
- Detail-oriented self-starter with proven ability to handle multiple projects in a flexible and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent analytic skills and a strong attention to detail with great communication skills.
- Thrives in a collaborative team environment
Morningstar employees are required to be fully vaccinated or submit to regular testing to work in any office. Morningstar's vaccine policy may be modified to comply with evolving legal requirements and other changing circumstances.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity