Title: Data Architect
Reports to: Director, Data Engineering
Location: Buffalo Grove or Chicago
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers over 6 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $500 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
As Data Architect at Zoro, you are responsible for driving innovation, data strategy and architecture across a wide range of new and existing capabilities. You will develop, optimize and oversee conceptual and logical data architecture and integrations across multiple internal and external products. You will collaborate closely with enterprise architecture, engineering, data and analytics teams to design and implement business-critical enterprise data solutions. The ideal candidate will have proven expertise in data analysis, data modeling and data engineering with significant experience advocating solutions in cloud-native real-time data management platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and implement effective database solutions and models to capture, store and track business data in real-time
- Provide analysis, counsel and direction to engineering and data teams on enterprise data management best practices
- Define and implement architectural guidelines for high-velocity data processing infrastructure
- Oversee data migration from legacy to new systems
- Train technology and business users on database application industry standards and conventions
- Collaborate with security architect to ensure data security and privacy compliance for end-to-end data lifecycle management activities
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture peers and leadership to make Data Architecture part of a holistic strategy
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Minimum of 5 year experience in a similar role
- Superior communication and business-technical interaction skills
- Proven experience proposing blueprint solutions and collaboratively defining enabling architectures for enterprise data platforms
- Comfortable making decisions over uncertainty
- Able to innovate at high speed, fail fast, and correct immediately
- Solid experience in analytics data architecture, database design and data engineering pipelines
- Understanding of website tagging and beaconing and how this drives analytics lift
- Expert knowledge of data modeling concepts and data relationships
- Expert-level SQL skills
- Expert level of NoSQL and Time Series databases and where they fit
- Strong understanding of event processing data architecture
- Strong team player and outstanding problem solver
- Proven experience adopting emerging standards and new technologies to formulate enterprise analytics data platforms
- Masters Degree
- Familiar with agile methodologies and practices
- Prior experience in ecommerce / online retail sales
- Experience defining enterprise data architecture using Google Cloud Platform
We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.