Aquilon was founded with the idea of bringing efficiencies and transparency to the wholesale energy industry through innovative technology solutions. By working side-by-side with traders, settlement analysts, and financial professionals, Aquilon has developed a Software as a Service solution, Energy Settlement Network (ESNTM), for wholesale energy participants to reconcile all their transactions through one platform.
Aquilon looks for individuals that demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit and curiosity. Potential candidates can expect a fast-paced, fun, and challenging work environment surrounded by passionate and talented team members and industry experts.
We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced Data Architect who will be responsible for the development of architectural strategies and guidance of technical application/data solution implementations within Aquilon’s application development team. The Data Architect will collaborate with technology leadership and business stakeholders to help determine technical solutions based on business requirements and consult on their implementation. Responsibilities also include producing technical strategy to align solutions and data architecture to the company’s business strategy and goals. This position requires a strong blend of communication and technical skills.
There is enormous opportunity to develop exciting new capabilities that will key the growth of the company. Leveraging your passion and data expertise, you will be a member of the team that is transforming Aquilon.
Essential Functions and Duties
The following duties and responsibilities reflect the essential functions for this position but do not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time based on business needs.
- Evaluate/analyze business needs and current technical assets/data to develop and implement solutions and strategy for firm data and application architecture.
- Responsible for driving data policies and standards for the management, storage, access, navigation, movement, and transformation of data.
- Provide technical consultation for technology and data solutions based on business needs; oversee architectural aspects of business solution development/deployment.
- Documents and drives the best practices of data architecture and data governance.
- Design and development of MS SQL Server database objects and procedural code supporting various custom and 3rd party applications, including writing Stored Procedures, Functions, Triggers
- Optimize and tune MS SQL databases and queries and perform database normalization
- Work with application developers to provide data services for existing and new applications
- Assess and maintain data integrity
- Support and troubleshoot application issues and document solutions
- Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement.
- Ensures that industry-accepted data architecture principles, standards, guidelines and concepts are integrated with those of allied disciplines and coordinated roll-out and adoption strategies are in place.
- Assist in and/or lead the development and implementation of data collection systems as necessary
- Provide mentoring on data architecture design and requirements to development and business teams
- Reviews the solution requirements and architecture to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology.
- Support presentations to Customers and Partners
- Advising on new technology trends and possible adoption to maintain competitive advantage
Required Skills/ Qualifications
- 15+ years of professional experience in the data field
- At least 5 years of previous architecture experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/CS, IT, or related study
- Experience and hands on capabilities with Microsoft data platform technologies: SQL Server, Azure SQL, HD Insight, Data Factory, SSIS and related tools[JK1] (ie. RedGate, Quest Benchmark, Apex, etc);
- Excellent knowledge of data warehousing concepts & Azure
- Significant experience working with online, web based applications; significant experience with SDLC methodologies and design/architecture aspects of project delivery.
- Proven requirements-gathering and long-term solution development experience
- Strong knowledge of relational database modeling principles and techniques[JK2]
- NoSQL experience is a preferred skill. If skill set is light on NoSQL, a willingness to increase NoSQL skillset and consider best ways to utilize within application.
- Have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to interface with Business, Sales, Marketing and Executive Teams.
- Ability to maintain strategic perspective, understanding the big picture and maintaining patience and persistence to achieve long-term goals and objectives.
- Strong organizational, communication and presentation skills; must show experience with documenting and presenting technology strategy and experience in a strategic and consultative technical role.
To be successful at Aquilon you will be:
- Results focused and resourceful. You are eager to enhance your skills to take your career to the next level
- Pragmatic. You fail fast and iterate quickly
- Entrepreneurial. You find opportunity where others don’t
- Personable. Don’t be ‘that’ coworker
- Open Minded. You know there are many avenues to success
- Interested in pushing the energy industry forward
December 2014 & December 2015: CIO Review recognized Aquilon as one of the “20 Most Promising Energy Technology Solution Providers”