Data Center Engineer
At Optiver, we strive for excellence in all things we do. We are looking for Data Center Engineers that share this mindset. A well-planned and well-orchestrated cabling and racking infrastructure is just as important to us as well-engineered trading software.
If you are someone who takes pride in what you do, who relentlessly strives for perfection, who gets a kick out of systematizing and organizing your domain, then you’re the person we seek. This is a chance to take ownership of the physical part of our trading infrastructure across multiple data centers and thousands of servers, all the while striving for simplicity and operational excellence.
What you'll do:
- You will be in charge of maintaining our US data centers, including but not limited to the following:
- Installing and cabling switches, servers, and appliances in our onsite data center
- Facilitating installation of servers and network equipment with smart hands in remote co-locations
- Managing power and space including monitoring and capacity planning
- Maintaining a consistent and clean cable management philosophy
- Managing cable inventory
- Replacing hard drives/memory/transceivers and other hardware related tasks as required by our server and network teams
- Assisting with planning moves or new build-outs
- Getting equipment to and from remote co-locations including packing/shipping
- Maintaining data center documentation
What you'll need:
- Attention to detail and cleanliness
- Ability to identify basic parts of network equipment – SFPs, line cards, chassis
- Ability to identify basic parts of servers – memory, network card, hard drives, etc..
- Experience with identifying port locations for specific device manufacturers (Cisco, Arista, Juniper)
- Knowledge of structured cabling systems using cat 5, cat 6, multi-mode and single-mode fiber
- Familiarity with both power and communications cabling standards
- Experience configuring and using cable testers for both fiber and copper to troubleshoot cabling issues
- An understanding of change control processes
- Strong documentation mentality
- Ability to lift 75lbs
- Reliable transportation
- Willingness to occasionally work weekends, and to travel to New Jersey colocations
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for employment authorization for this job opening
Who we are:
Optiver is a leading global trading firm. We provide the most up-to-date and competitive prices to anyone wanting to buy or sell financial instruments. Achieving this requires excellence in everything we do. We constantly look for opportunities to advance and improve our pricing, trade execution, and risk management. This rigorous approach helps us realize our mission each and every day: improve the markets.