Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
Introduction From the Data Team at Home Chef:
In our experience, most job postings use buzzwords with no real meaning, general terms (think “highly driven” or “team player”), unnecessary qualifications, and provide no context around the role and why it is open. We are hoping to stay away nonsensical requirements while clearly describing what we are looking for.
Context - What Data at Home Chef does:
Tl;dr - define, build, and own the enterprise data model, help business analysts and stakeholders derive value from data, hone your skills in a data-related area of interest.
The Data Platform is equal parts infrastructure and data modeling logic. In this context, “data modeling” refers to the conceptual and programmatic work that goes into building a data warehouse (for more details see BEAM data modeling as laid out in Agile Data Warehousing Design.) We are responsible for working with data consumers across the company to design and build a data warehouse that accurately reflects their needs and query patterns. With the rapid growth of Home Chef comes an increased number of data consumers; however, there are currently only a relatively few number of folks building the data model. That’s where you would come in.
Responsibilities - Your Day to Day:
- Design, build, and own a company wide Data Model
- Accurately visualize key metrics for non-technical data consumers (in Looker)
- Convert business requests to code
- Work closely with business stakeholders to learn about the business, gather requirements, build metrics, and communicate progress
- Build ingestion, cleaning, and transformations jobs to create a useful integrated data warehouse
- Strong communication (with both highly technical and non-technical colleagues)
- Looker (other BI experience transferable)
- Python / PySpark (our code base is almost entirely in Python)
- Experience working on a modern Data Platform (Apache Spark, Snowflake, Airflow scheduler, distributed compute, AWS Suite, etc.)
- Training on intermediate and advanced Data Modeling concepts
- Experience communicating with non-technical stakeholders, determining relative ROI of projects, and building and implementing your own project plans
- Learn-by-doing exposure to tools, concepts, and technologies in the data realm
- Independence - define and implement your own career progression. There are many hats that need wearing in the Home Chef data realm, find one (or many) you like and put it on!
You’re Perfect If
- You have some solid SQL chops
- You have solid data visualization skills
- You are interested in growing technically into the Python space
- You want to directly work with non-technical stakeholders
- You value communication as highly as writing code
- The ability to Google a new concept and explain it to a five year old an hour later
-Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first
-Direct access to senior management – our leadership team works alongside our team members every day
-Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
-Generous paid time off (PTO) policy
-Flexible spending accounts for qualified medical, dependent care, parking, or transit expenses
-Free water taxi, discounted gym membership, and daily bike storage for Wrigley building employees
-Cold brew coffee on tap at no charge
-Employee discounts for Home Chef meal kits
-Free lunch every Friday and snacks and beverages on hand every day
Home Chef is an equal employment opportunity employer