Data Engineer, Commercial Analytics
Location: Chicago, IL
Job Title: Data Engineer, Commercial Analytics
Reports To: Manager, Commercial Analytics
Function: Strategy & Analytics
Job Type: Regular/Full-Time
The Data Engineer is responsible for developing and maintaining a cloud-based data management solution that underpins Novos Growth Partner’s (NGP) advanced analytics capabilities. NGP uses the latest software and data management paradigms to build competitive advantage for clients in the pharmaceutical marketplace. The Data Engineer will directly contribute to NGP’s business success through best in market cloud architecture, high-volume data management, and technology innovation.
- Understand business requirements from strategy and advanced analytics teams within the organization and translate those requirements into clean, efficient, and scalable data management code
- Use Python, Spark and SQL to implement data Extract, Transformation and Load (ETL) scripts that automatically integrate multiple disparate data sources into NGP’s reporting data warehouse
- Utilize a suite of cloud-based data management capabilities on Amazon Web Services (AWS) including Lambda, EMR, Athena, EC2, and S3 to automate data transformation, QA, and report generation
- Continuously enhance the codebase to maximize performance, accuracy, and usability
- Clearly document all code so that all members of the data and analytics team understand methodologies and design decisions
- Work collaboratively with NGP’s small and fast-paced team of engineers to advance market leading data capabilities
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, information systems, computer science, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience in high-volume data management programming
- Extensive programming experience with Python
- Experience configuring and working within Amazon’s cloud data suite – S3, EC2, EMR, Lambda
- Experience using Apache Spark and other distributed cloud-based data processing
- Strong working knowledge of SQL or SQL-like data management languages
- Experience with using AWS database solutions including Athena, DynamoDB, and Redshift preferred
- Experience implementing and maintaining a secure cloud environment and infrastructure preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Move/traverse inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Communicate and exchange information
- Perceive, recognize and identify information
- Remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Ability to work in a very fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative environment
- Self-directed to understand the business and propose new and innovative solutions
- Positive and enthusiastic approach to work and team
- High attention to detail and accuracy of deliverables
- Solution oriented, problem solver
Novos Growth Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.