Data Engineer II at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
The Retention team at Grubhub is focused on growing our active diner business, which manifests itself in many ways, from creating email marketing campaigns to passing our marketing-determined recommendations to our product. We are looking for an experienced, adaptable, and energetic self-starter, who would like to build products and pipelines with a direct business impact. The engineer will work daily across marketers and data scientists alike, and have ample opportunity to supplement their technical expertise with business development skills, becoming almost a “business” data engineer. Pipelines and processes created in this role will be essential to execution of business needs, so we are looking for somebody who can not only complete the engineering task, but is innately curious about the subsequent business impact. Culture fit is important on this team - we’re hard workers and proactive teammates. As a Data Engineer of a team of data scientists and marketers, we are looking for not only an engineering domain expert, but one who enjoys mentoring and developing others’ engineering know-how.
The Impact You Will Make
- Be a flexible swiss army knife in owning deployment of production pipeline systems, from email programs to in-product integrations.
- Closely work with analysts and marketers alike to assist in building out big data assets, pipelines, and campaigns. Don’t be afraid to learn and understand the business - the engineer best suited to succeed in this role will embrace the business needs as the primary ends, not a constraint.
- Assist team members in technical engineering aspects, particularly with job optimizations and Spark application troubleshooting/tuning.
- Proactively find opportunities to better our business and underlying operations through engineering improvements.
What You Bring to the Table
- Expert skills in querying with SQL, expert programming in Python, distributed systems/big data processing with Spark.
- 3+ years experience writing test-driven development ETL jobs, both complex and small/flexible, within a business context.
- Experience mentoring/coaching engineers along with overseeing the technical work of developers from other teams.
- Great communication skills/working with teammates, both technical and non-technical.
Got these? Even better
- Infectious enthusiasm and energy, we are looking for culture leaders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field.
- Experience deploying machine learning models into big data pipelines.
- Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy, structured and organized.
- Adaptability and collaborative skills.
And Of Course, Perks!
Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.